Chenille plants

jasaminaNovember 1, 2012

Can I go ahead and plant chenille plants in the ground now or should I wait? I live in Vero Beach.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

We have no idea what climate zone you are in, so can't answer you.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 7:46AM
linda_leaf z10fla(10A Florida)

Jasamina, I live on the Southwest coast of Florida and my chenille plant always get nipped from the frost every winter. I cut it down in the spring and it grows nice and full very quickly. I would suggest you keep it in a pot for now so you can move it to the garage or other protected location on cold nights. Then plant it in the ground in the spring.
Linda Leaf

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 4:11PM
linda_leaf z10fla(10A Florida)

Jasamina, I live on the Southwest coast of Florida and my chenille plant always get nipped from the frost every winter. I cut it down in the spring and it grows nice and full very quickly. I would suggest you keep it in a pot for now so you can move it to the garage or other protected location on cold nights. Then plant it in the ground in the spring.
Linda Leaf

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 4:12PM
jasamina

The zone I'm in is 9b. The people at the nursery said to go ahead and put it in the ground but currently I have them in hanging baskets to move them in case we do get a freeze.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 6:01PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Acalypha hispida is the botanical name of this plant - it doesn't like it when temperatures drop below 50.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 6:09PM
mark4321_gw

I thought I posted a response to this yesterday, but I must have forgotten to hit the final "post" button.

I assume you are referring to Acalypha reptans/repens/pendula, the creeping plant which is often grown in hanging baskets. Acalphya hispida is also called "Chenille plant" and is an upright bush about 5 feet tall with much larger leaves (several inches). The catkins also get much longer--I think up to about 20 inches long.

We can grow Acalypha reptans outside in California zones 9/10 but I've only seen A. hispida in greenhouses. I have heard it grows outside in South Florida.

I had never seen Acalypha reptans planted in the ground here, so I bought a plant in January or February of this year and planted rooted divisions of it in the ground. They didn't do much for a long time, and still haven't. I gave the potted plant to my mom and it also did not bloom for a long time, but finally did when the weather warmed later in Spring.

We are zone 9b, but are average temperatures in winter (and the rest of the year) are a lot lower than zone 9b in Florida. In winter we average about 60/40, with many, many nights in the 30s. Frosts tend to be very mild and only for a couple hours. So my experience is likely very different from that in the same USDA zone in Florida. I don't think the plant I put in the ground experienced any frost.

Plant Delights Nursery claims that one of the creeping varieties (they call it Acalypha pendula--I'm not sure if this is the same as A. reptans or not...) can survive in zone 7b.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delight's Nursery claim of hardy Acalphya pendula

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Albuca spiralis seeds
Hello! Does anyone know from where can I get Albuca...
xylocyb
Looking to swap rare tropical seeds and such
Looking to trade rare tropical seeds and such. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Sponsored Products
Fabbian | Giunco Floor Lamp
YLighting
Blooming Flower Pot Stand
Grandin Road
Buffalo Tools Sportsman 8-foot Windmill
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Blokburst Mint Chip
Home Depot
Shagadelic Chenille Shag Gray Round: 3 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$42.95 | Bellacor