What are these red spots on my Peach tree

ianrwesley(zone 10)May 3, 2010

I just purchased a new Tropic Beauty peach for my landscape 2 weeks ago. 3-4 days after planting in my yard the peach leaves began to get red spots. Now 1.5 wks later those red spots are turning into holes in the leaves.

I have some pictures below... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Ian:

Looks like what is referred to as "Leaf Spot" or "Leaf Blight." Most often are fungal problems cured by application of a good fungicide. It is tough to give an exact diagnosis from a picture. Do you have an Agriculture Extension Office near you. They would be able to make specific reccomendations. Good luck with curing it. It may require several applications of fungicide.

Harry

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 5:27PM
dlccc

Ian: I have the same problem. Have you found any fungicide that seems to work? Dave

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 8:47AM
jb_fla(9a)

Its actually not a fungus but bacterial spot, which there are no sprays you can apply to treat. Unfortunatly the Tropic beauty peach is not resistant to bacterial spot.

I have a Tropic Snow peach and Sun best nectarine, both of which are very resistant to bacterial spot. But for encouragement, last year my tropic snow did have some issues with the bacterial spot, and this year I have no problems.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 10:32AM
enduser(9a Tampa)

It is a fungus better known as "rust", not bacterial spot. Bacterial spot are black dots and more towards the tip of the leaf and on the fruit.

The best treatment that I found is a soil drench using Dithane M-45. Mix 2 Tablespoons (1oz) to one gallon of water. To that mix you can also add water soluble fertilizer such as tomato 18-18-21 or 20-20-20 using the same amounts stated. Re-apply again in 10-days, then re-apply 10-days after that again. You can also spray the trunk, branches, and leaves with this mix.

The best document actually a Power Point presentation that shows all types of peach disease and how to treat them can be found here: http://www.imok.ufl.edu/misc_news/peach_field_day06/diseases_of_peach.ppt

Very informative pdf doc.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/pathology/pathcirc/pp69.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Peach in Central and South Florida

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™