Soursop (Guanabana) or Cherimoya?

kwaaron(9)May 15, 2008

Hello,

I have two trees that I grew from seed at least two or three years ago. The problem is, I've also started germinating seeds from cherimoyas bought at the grocery store. The problem is, now I don't remember whether the two oldest trees are soursops or cherimoyas. Does anyone know if there are any characteristics that can differentiate between the two? I have photos of them if that would be of any help.

Thanks for any help you can offer me

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virgilevetts(Auckland, NZ)

Soursop leaves are smooth, glossy and more elongated than cherimoya and have a strong black current/ cat pee smell. Cherimoya leaves are more rounded, ribbed, and have slightly bitter smell- if thats possible!

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 6:33PM
siegel2

Also the soursop will die during your winter, but the cherimoya should survive pretty easily.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 7:45PM
kwaaron(9)

Well I'm glad you guys could help me out with that, as I would've otherwise had no idea as to their ID. After looking at the leaves, I'd say it's probably a cherimoya, but I'll post a couple pics and see what you think. Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 4:23PM
siegel2

Cherimoya for sure.

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 7:46PM
bluepalm

Looks just like my cherimoya.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 12:19PM
kwaaron(9)

Bluepalm, has your tree ever flowered/produced fruit? I've got two relatively large trees (maybe four-five feet tall) potted in 15 gallon containers. One looks pretty sickly; a lot of it's leaves are crispy around the edges. Have you had similar problems with your trees?

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 12:37PM
bluepalm

Mine is in the ground here in Florida. It looks very healthy and should be big enough to fruit. I had one flower when growth emerged this spring...no fruit though. I've read that Cherimoyas don't fruit well in Florida, but I brought this variety with me from San Diego because the fruit was DELICIOUS. I'm hoping it will fruit for me. Sometimes the older leaves on my Cherimoya get crispy on the edges by the end of autumn.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
avocado insect protection
My 6 foot avocado tree has set fruit for the first...
timetraveler
Avocado Emergency-indoor gardener
Avacado with established roots and shoot, knocked over...
thumbsvert
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Kesar Mango
Have you guys heard of Kesar Mango from India. I would...
mangobaby
Lychee web worms attack!
I have been greatly saddened to see my Brewster lychee...
bananafan2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™