Vellozia - Does anyone grow these??

bluebonsai101(6a PA)December 11, 2007

Hi all, I got in some Vellozia sp. the other day when we were really cold....the plants look like poo and I have never grown one. These were tossed in by a friend from overseas just 'cause he likes to ship me weird stuff, but he rarely bothers with things like instructions on how to grow them (or species for that matter). Does anyone have any advice before I just throw them away?? How much light, how much water, how much fertilizer, etc.?? I hear they are very hard to grow, but now that I have them I hate to toss them out without a fight :D Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I have a Vellozia species from South Africa that makes a nice little flowering ground cover for shade, and likes it on the moist side. Rather undistinguished when it isn't blooming, but different. Hard to generalize about this genus, as there are quite a few from the Brazilian highlands as well, that are generally tropical growers that can't take frost, and prefer a distinct dry season in winter, for the most part.

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 12:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Thanks, I have heard from a few others that these really resent having their roots disturbed so I doubt if I have any chance, but I will atleast try until they are clearly dead!! I'm told these have wonderful flowers that smell like chocolate, but I doubt I will see them myself :o) Dan

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™