What is wrong with this pineapple?

shuffles_gwMay 10, 2013

All of our Sugarloaf pineapples are throwing off pups under the fruit. Some have a lot more pups than this. Is this normal? Our pineapples descended from the grocery store have never had this problem. Should we get rid of them and start over?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shuffles_gw

Here is a photo of a different one.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 5:16PM
bananafan

The fruit sure looks good, but don't know about those little fruit forming below. Sure hope you'll find out what's the right thing to do first before removing anything.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 6:21PM
notascrename

I don"t think this is necessarily a problem. If you remove a ripe pineapple w/o cutting too much stem, this happens every time. Called the second ratoon. Produces smaller tho more sweet fruit. How/what do you feed your pineapples? Jim

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:02PM
tropicbreezent

Have never had it happen with any of mine, but I don't know what varieties they are. It can't be good for fruit development. If you propagate off the same plants you'll continue the same problem.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 10:35PM
shuffles_gw

notascrenename; I fertilize with a pinch of very slow time release ferts. Too much will burn them. These sugarloafs have never had fruit before and are growing in half pine fines/half spagnam. The grocery store descendants are growing in the ground.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:27PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

I saw some youtube video of a guy who removed the pups from under the developing fruit and started new plants with the pups. I think it will fruit faster starting from pups than a new crown. Below is a link to the CRFG page about pineapples.

Here is a link that might be useful: pineapple

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 4:31PM
notascrename

I try to find how any tropical plant I grow is grown commercially, then adapt that to the container environment.( I'm in north Alabama so my plants spend the winters in a greenhouse.) See the U of Hawaii CTAHR website to see how they do it in the fields. Really eye opening to me! I pretty much follow that with some tweaking for Leaching. As far as the pups, I think your plants need fed. Jim

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 5:05PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

That is happening to mine too! I've left my on and have had those fruit a couple of years later..I was too lazy to remove them and plant them separately lol...

This one has 5 baby pups...

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 11:39AM
shuffles_gw

Well hopefully it is not genetic but just a lack of fertilizer. I plan to feed mine more and see how it works out. Also, I have some younger ones in the ground like the unknown varieties from the store. Time will tell.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Yellowing of Papaya leaves
Hi all, My papaya plant has been losing it's lower...
CoryMiamiBeach
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™