Important ID please

CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)December 16, 2012

I normally don't post in here. I can mainly be found in the Cacti and Succulent forum. However, I have a plant that I really need an ID on. I haven't a clue as to what it is. I'd also like to know soil and light requirements. You see, this plant is very special. It was my husband's grandmother's plant. She passed away in March. This plant was in her bedroom for many many years. It was in the room when she took her last breath. You can see it's been neglected. It has some roots that are rotted. I plan to re-pot it today. With any luck it will thrive with your help. If you could help me in anyway it would be greatly appreciated!

~Erin~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Sorry I have no idea but you might want to post this on the "name that plant" forum. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 4:49PM
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

looks like some specie of the genus Anthurium

maybe Anthurium schlechtendalii, the fact that its been "neglected" makes ID tricky.

goodluck!

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 3:12AM
robinogg(Z8b/NC FL)

it is an Anthurium, and prefers well drained soil, lightly moist to almost dry, compost, and kept fairly root bound. Those dried crispy edges are from it staying wet too long. Morning sun only, filtered afternoon light is ok, tolerates pretty low light. Needs less water in low light, should get nearly completely dry before watering, and I recommend watering weekly and adjusting the amount so as to water the same day of the week. (so you don't forget).
It's easy to care for.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 1:54AM
More Discussions
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™