How and when to repot an Anthurium

hmomof2December 31, 2009

Hello, I bought my first Anthurium 3 months ago from the Home Depot. It is and was in excellent condition when I bought it. It still is in excellent condition and appears to be happy. I believe that it is too big for it's little 8" pot. Overall the plant is 30" high and has about 6" of roots above the pot. I have to double up the stakes to keep it upright.

1. Should I repot it?

2. If I do, how on earth do I accomplish this with these roots all over the place?(I'm assuming these are air roots like an orchid)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bihai(zone 9)

most anthuria are epiphytic, semi-epiphytic or lithophytic. Their usual home in the wild may be as simple as the crux between tree branches that they can attach to and sit in a cache of leaf litter.

When put into soil or the ground, they will almost always send roots up into the air, because that is their epiphytic nature.

The best way to repot an anthurium is into a large basket, like a mesh basket or a wood slat basket lined with mesh, filled with a mix of organic stuff like bark, peanut shells, some humus, perlite, aliflor, etc. The roots are looking for air when they come out of the dirt like yours are. You can always set the basket into a large cachepot.

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 8:17AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

I'd second most of that. It's true, however, that even here in Brazil, Anthuriums are often grown as pot plants and they don't mind this. Some even say they flower better when pot-bound. My mother-in-law has some spectacular plants that are only in 10" pots. You must keep them warm , however.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 8:29PM
Dick1925

My wife received her's as a gift in the hospital . It was in a small pot, which it quickly outgrew.
I transplanted it to a larger and it never seemed to slow down.
My question: How and when should it be fertilized?

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™