Ipomea (Morning glory)

ifraser25(z11 Brazil)December 19, 2011

I saved some seed of Ipomea caerulea (the sky-blue one)about 6 months ago and sowed it in the garden about 6 weeks ago - after the first Spring rain. We have a subropical climate. I didn't want to do it earlier as the "winter" is very dry. None has germinated. Morning glory grows like a weed here generally. Is it because I kept the seed too long?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Morning glory seeds can remain viable for years. I always soak my MG seeds in water overnight before planting and if they haven't swelled I nick the seed coat and soak them again. Maybe the seeds weren't viable or maybe they rotted?

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 8:08AM
birdsnblooms

Fraser. I prepare Morning Glory seeds the same as Karyn.

When seeds are planted directly in the ground, they can take up to 2-months before germinating.

A blue MG is hardy and invasive here. They pop up around June, weeks before newly sown MG seeds do.

Be patient. It they don't sprout 3-4 weeks from now, they're probably infertile.
Are seeds firm? Toni

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 4:17PM
jamangel(10a)

I soak the seeds in tepid water for about half a day and then germinate them indoors in a homemade seed starter. They usually sprout in a few days. After establishment they aren't hard to keep watered, (the winters are dry here in south Florida too). I just have to cover them if we get one of those Florida cold snaps.

I just planted some Scarlett O'haras, (reddish pink). We'll see how they like FL summers. :)

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Broadleaf Tropical Indoor Plant ID Help
There is a picture of a large leaf plant, it appears...
Brett Reilly
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Looking to swap rare tropical seeds and such
Looking to trade rare tropical seeds and such. Please...
Tropical Gardener
HAVE: for trade
I have close to 2000 different kinds of tropicals for...
Angel_Hawk1975
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™