Jaboticaba At Home - Part 2

jabomano(z10FL)May 4, 2011

Here's a photo of a large jaboticaba that's finally in the ground at home. You can see the other one at the far end of my yard. My house is in Ft. Myers and I bought the large one on Pine Island at Treehouse Nursery and the smaller one from Frank DeNardis in Naples. I say smaller in comparison to the large tree because even though it's smaller it's fruiting size.

Ray

My SoundCloud

My Photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

Beautiful looking trees. I am growing a 'Sabara' Jaboticaba and another unnamed Jaboticaba. My trees are about 5-7 years from that size at least though.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 6:47PM
fruit_guy

Give them LOTS of water, especially during the dry seasons and when they are large enough (4 inch diameter main trunk?), hit them with Triple Super Phosphate. That's the advice I was given many years ago. I just put a few in the ground last year (thank you Dade County Adopt-A-Tree program) so mine are still too small to fruit as well, but I suspect that with the above regimen, fruit may be only a few years away! If they are still in pots, keep them in a tub of water sitting on top of a brick or similar. Supposedly they can fruit in as little as 3-4 years that way, but I have not actually tried that. There is also a cultivar from Brasil (Hybrida I think) that reportedly fruits there in 3 years.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 8:15PM
jabomano(z10FL)

My thoughts on fruiting trees is that I buy the largest trees I can because I'm 60 years old and don't want to be on the root side of the tree before it fruits.

Here's a grandaddy of a jaboticaba at Frank DeNardis's house in Naples, Florida.

Ray
My SoundCloud
My Photography

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 11:13PM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

I like the way you think Ray!! Thanks for the pics.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 6:47AM
adiel

Those are beautiful trees Ray. Once the Jaboticaba reaches the fruiting stage, it no longer requires any type of fertilizer or water. I will give plenty of fruit. Only water if you are in an area that does not rain. In Florida, the rain is enough for them.

Adiel

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 7:36AM
jabomano(z10FL)

Adiel

I have a couple more in the Ft. Myers area (2 at my sisters house) and your right about that....I don't water or fertilize either of them. I have both of the ones at my house situated so the irrigation head hits them and waters them for at least 20 minutes.

Ray

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 7:10PM
cyh527

Did you buy this in a 25 gallon pot? I wonder how long does it take for a tree to fruit ?

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Kesar Mango
Have you guys heard of Kesar Mango from India. I would...
mangobaby
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
Sponsored Products
HAL Armchair by Vitra
$475.00 | Lumens
Uttermost Sea Fans Framed Art Set Of 9
Beyond Stores
Bird Figurine Set
$29.99 | zulily
3-section Contemporary Outdoor Roma Stripe High Back Chair Cushion (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Bliss Hot Pink Rectangular: 9 Ft. x 13 Ft. Rug
$888.75 | Bellacor
Napoleon Basic Direct Vent Gas Fireplace Insert - NED138
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™