Please help identify this plant

babycodyDecember 3, 2009

I was looking for a low light indoor plant when I came upon this picture, but unfortunately it was not labeled. Will you help me give it a name please?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
venezuela(venezuela)

looks like Strelitzia nicolai to me...it may be surviving in low light but it really likes full sun, I wonder how long it has been there.... chris

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 8:25PM
babycody

The foliage does look a lot like the Strelitzia Nicolai, but the stalk does not look the same to me. The Strelitzia Nicolai's stalk starts out very wide and tappers off. The stalks are also grouped tightly. This plant is grouped more loosely, and the stalk has about the same circumference all the way up to the foliage. The pole like stalk and split leaves make this plant attractive to me. I could not find a picture of the Strelitzia Nicolai that looked like this one. Am I wrong?

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 9:17PM
babycody

The stalk has the pole like traits I am seeing in the Strelitzia Reginae, but the foliage of that plant is narrower and not often is it shown in pictures with splits in the leaves.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 10:07PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Im thinking its Strelitzia Nicolai. It was probably growin in shade therefore the leaves are longer making the plant taller than it should be at that stage in its life which would explain the small base. If you look at the base of the plant, it looks like its still pretty young.

I see some at home depot that look similar to that and they are labeled "White Birds of Paradise"

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 10:14PM
venezuela(venezuela)

It is the amount of light the plant has been growing in that makes it look so different from your photo of the nursery grown ones. notice in that same photo that there are some in the back with split leaves also. chris

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 5:38AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

^ I agree with Venezuela.

The amt. of light a plant recieves can make it look like a different species sometimes! For example, a windmill palm tree growing in shade has very long fronds and drooping tips, but a windmill palm in full sun is very compact and even a little stiff.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 12:40AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Yes, it is Strelitzia nicolai. And when it is grown in low-light indoors conditions it will soon become so tall and wide that it will eventually outgrow your room after a few seasons. You may consider moving it outdoors during the summer months to encourage more compact growth, or purchase another small plant.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 11:13AM
babycody

Thank you all for being so helpful. I have plans to put it in a warehouse waiting area where it would receive sun in the afternoons from the dock doors. The ceilings are very high so space is not a problem. Does this plant do well with pruning?

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 8:53PM
babycody

An alternative perhaps: Calathea lutea

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™