How would you rate these bananas?

RodneyJSMay 24, 2011

Posted this thread on the Banana forum with no replies yet-

I'm looking to purchase these bananas. Which do you prefer?

-Dwarf Red

-Misi Luki

-Manzano

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

Rodney,

Setup an account over at bananas.org. The forums over there are more active. Will talk to you soon.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 2:39AM
mullenium

Isn't misi and manzano very similar? I think misi has the slight edge tho, wouldn't even consider dwarf red.

Look into rajapuri, seem to be the best for zone 9 imo

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 12:42AM
red_sea_me

Dwarf Jamaican red is an excellent banana, red skinned/orangish flesh wonderful flavor. It is cold sensitive though but maybe in your area Rodney you could get away with it? Misi luki is a big banana plant, I dont grow manzano so I can't comment. IMO, dwarf namwah is the way to go and this is why, most homegrown bananas are going to be as good or better than you get in the store. A majority of banana plants, even the dwarf ones are still big plants and need staking when they have fruit. Dwarf namwah is very short when it blooms and has a pseudostem like a sequoia, no staking required plus no ladder to harvest. The bananas are smallish (10"?) with and orange tinge to the flesh near the core and a nice sweet tropical banana with a hint of green apple taste.

just my $.02
-Ethan

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 12:55AM
RodneyJS

Thanks for the info, mullenium & Ethan

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 1:18AM
mango_kush

theyre all excellent flavored, cuban red and manzano both have a fruity flavor, manzano is probably better but is not recommended here because of fungus, dwarf red is such a beautiful specimen. i grow both. dwarf namwah and misi luki are very similar, in fact sometimes places misname them. they tend to have a more creamy sweet flavor then fruity sub-acid like manzano and red.

where are you ordering from? beware there are cheap places on the internet that will send you weak little suckers that may take a season just to establish roots. going bananas always has the best stock and sell you full sized corms/plants.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 3:46PM
RodneyJS

I was thinking of Wellsprings or Florida Hill nursery on Ebay.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 3:52PM
red_sea_me

I can give you p-stems of D. namwah, Jamaican red, Misi luki and a few others, if you come up....bring a truck.

-Ethan

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 6:58PM
mullenium

i bought 2 raja's from stokes and they drop shipped me 2 weak suckers from florida (stokes is located in Louisana)

i woulda ordered from going bananas but their ordering system sucks, you cant order online.. have to mail in that form.. im too lazy for that

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 8:19PM
jfernandez(10B)

I love Manzanos I like to buy a sucker from anyone who has them in SoCal?

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 9:10PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

rodney, I have dwarf namwah if interested.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 2:46AM
James-hoon

Eggo, dwraf nam wah? How tall is this banana before it get fruit? I have regular namwah but never heard of any dwraf before.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 7:15AM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

James, it fruits at about 7-8 feet.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 4:29PM
James-hoon

That is a perfect size for banana fruiting. I have may be regular nam wah that fruit at about 10 feet tall and pretty hard for me to support it's trunk when the fruit get bigger. If I'm interested in your dwraf namwah what do we do? Where are you in California?

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 9:07PM
James-hoon

Red see me, if you still have some sucker from your banana especially dwarf namwah I would like to buy some from you. I have a banana bed about 5 sq feet and now only have 4 namwah from 5 feet down to 6 inches.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 7:25PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

james, i'm in the o.c./l.a. area. feel free to pick up some if you are in the area. Unfortunately, I will not be shipping anything if you are not. Contact me offline if you are interested.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 9:23PM
James-hoon

Eggo, thanks for offering. I have to travel to OC santa ana all the time. Where are you located. You can email me at Hoonnirun@hotmail.com

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 6:08AM
More Discussions
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Gac harvest
just finished my harvest of gac fruits
bitepourrie22
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™