Bagging fruit on the tree

gnappiMay 14, 2011

I've seen Monks put bags on fruit to keep animals away from fruit. Has anyone tried this? I have a bunch of Papaya that I want and do not want to give to the Papaya fly.

TIA,

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squam256

In the past I have used the mesh bags that citrus comes in at the grocery store. This helps deter larger critters though it wouldn't stop fruit flies.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 12:17AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Here's a couple of articles on bagging fruits...I'm wondering if I should try this with Mangoes?

Bagging fruits

Or you can try the plastic containers that OhioJay posted on this post...
Squirrels in Thailand

Squam256, can you buy those bags somewhere or maybe buy the material by the yard? I would like to try them and see if it works...did it keep the raccoons and squirrels at bay?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagging Fruits for fruit fly protection...

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:51AM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

Nancy those are great links thanks
Great idea!

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:50PM
trini1trini

I have a good method similar to the first link Pug post about. I use patio screening fabric, shade fabric that you buy by the yard at Home Depot, or the soft metal mesh that's called hardware cloth or something like that. I have had 100% success with it for two years now. I used them on the peaches and they worked very well but the only problem was that, I totally forgot about the fruits when they ripened. By the time I checked them, I only found peach pits in the bags. :) The bags work for fruit flies, papaya wasps, birds, squrls and racoons.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 6:12PM
lycheeluva(6/7)

trini- awesome.
wondering why you made the coverings so much bigger than the fruit

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 6:50PM
mango_kush

think i might try the screening and stapler method on my anona reticulata in the future, thanks for the tip

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 7:00PM
trini1trini

Lycheeluva, these were some of the first bags that I made and they were large. I've made different sizes since then for the different size fruits. They are reusable which saves $$.

PS These bags won't protect your fruits from the TLHS critters (two-legged homo sapiens)

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 7:44PM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

Trini
That's a great idea!
Thanks

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:13PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Marin, you're welcome!

Trini, that's SO great...thanks for sharing! Do you think window screen would work since its SO much easier on the hands (less danger to cutting myself,lol). WM sells the window screen by the roll and is so much easier to work with...Or do you think the window screen will be too soft and won't work keeping the varmints at bay?

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 8:04AM
trini1trini

Thanks everyone. Pug, I noticed you posted that you made your bags before I could respond to your question. :) Your bags look great. I haven't had the squrls go thru the bags made with screening but I imagine they can if they want to. I just know that it has detered them from trying.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 2:49PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Trini! I hope they work,lol...

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 6:35PM
DunedinDan(z9b FL)

Tried this method using fabric like screening. Used regular staples to fasten them to the peaches and the branch. The varmints took the screening and all. There is one tattered screen left. Next year we're going to try the metal screening. We're assuming the varmints are squirrels.

Anyone have advice how to best fasten the bags to the branch for peaches? The fruit is usually right up against the branch.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:48AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I too used the Aluminum screening with excellent results ...I guess they didn't know what it was and was caught off guard,lol...The next year I lost about 50% of the ones I used the aluminum screening...like dundindan...they ripped the bag and ate the fruit through the bag and all...it was horrible!

Someone on another forum suggested using the hard plastic containers that come in the Produce dept. usually has Strawberries or Grapes...I used a few of these last year when I realized they were ripping the aluminum screening. They snap shut and seems to stay on the tree...

If you decide to use the Metal screening you can probably buy a roll of Aluminum wire (like the ones for hanging pictures) and loop it through the metal screen to tie it to the tree...Good luck!

Here's the Plastic Containers I am planning on using again this year...its so much more "hands/fingers friendly" as the metal screen you will have to use Gloves to protect yourself from cuts and scrapes...

You won't need to use the screening...but after I found out they were chewing right through the aluminum screening, I just put the Plastic container over the mangoes...I did NOT lose one single fruit using these...

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:54AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Here's what one looked like after eating right through the Aluminum bag :o(

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:57AM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

Anyone tried the waxed pepper spray? The squirrels like my avocados so much they eat them by the time they are the size of a dime. I ordered the waxed pepper spray this year, which is supposed to coat for a couple of weeks at a time. I sure hope it works. Birds could care less about hot peppers, but squirrels supposedly don't like it.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 1:34AM
jjjb(9b; ss18-19)

Anyone know if pomegranates will have to be bagged as well? This is my first year tending to a fruit tree in Southern California so any advice re: pomegranate growing and/or bagging is appreciated. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 2:13AM
More Discussions
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™