My Blooming Sweetsop

tropicalisteMay 2, 2011

Puttering in my garden I didn't exactly notice at first but when I pulled the leaves apart on the tip of my Sweetsop I found 2 flower buds, what a neat surprise! I wasn't expecting them to bud at this young of an age, and in the pot they are in, when I got back from the Philippines in '08 I just threw my Sweetsop seeds into a small pot and let them sprout and since then been meaning to repot but I haven't. Now they're bonsai... lol

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

Nice looking plant, its nice to see a surprise bloom on a small container plant. Btw, do you root prune your plants or just pot up?

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 12:30PM
tropicaliste

Kind of been "lazy" regarding these so the plants in the pictures have really just gone from seed to the bud with only watering and overwintering indoors. What's your recommendation on root-pruning? Would repotting now mean no more blooming for the rest of the season or more? Regarding root-pruning vs potting up, the seedlings usually just get potted up.

:)

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 4:12PM
nullzero(9)

I would root prune it. Take it out of the container, cut around bottom 1/3 off the root zone. Then look for tangled and excessive thick roots. Cut off most thick roots, that have few smaller fibrous roots attached below. For tangled roots make sure to unravel.

Make sure to not cut off more then 50% of the root mass. Then re-pot with new soil mix. You want to aim for around 30-40% cut. Make sure to use clean tools to prevent disease from transferring to plants.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™