avacado limds bying back sunscald or root rot (pics)

canoliMay 12, 2013

I have a Wilma avocado that I purchased recently and planted back in march in a raised bed. It was showing very vigorous growth until the last few weeks where it started having some random limbs die back. The tree never really greened up just produced pale green leaves. I recently fertilized this week and noticed some greening up but the dying limbs continued after the fertilization. The opal tree next to it seems to be growing just find with dark green leaves and no die back. Could this be root rot or maybe sun scald?

See the attached pictures. I would say this has happened to roughly 6-8 limbs so far with 2 from the last 24hrs. The darker photos are from this evening.

Thanks for the help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canoli

here is another pic. Sorry for the orientation not sure why it is uploading this way

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 11:42PM
canoli

here is another pic. Sorry for the orientation not sure why it is uploading this way

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 11:43PM
canoli

here is the 2 trees side by side. Notice the one on the left doing much better not showing any of the same signs.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 11:47PM
canoli

here is a few more from this evening

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 11:50PM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

Canoli, I can't say what has happened there but I also have a Wilma and Opal. The Opal has always been healthier. However, the first year in the ground I was told to shade cloth the trees for afternoon sun exposure. I did and it worked. Now they are four years old and handle the sun just fine. You can find shade cloth that still let's in a percentage of the sun. You may also have to really watch them on cold winter nights the first couple of years. I know those varieties are cold hardy but not so much at first.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™