Advice on cherimoyas and kiwis

ylmzmJune 28, 2013

We live in northern CA, sunset zone 16. We are looking for some advice on cherimoyas and kiwis.

Cherimoyas: Which varieties would you recommend ? I like the one tasting like caramel, but I don't know which variety is it. (We are aware of the toxicity of anonas, and will be limiting cherimoya consumption)

Kiwis: What is your experience with yellow, red, and orange kiwis? Which one would you recommend? Is the taste similar to the patented Gold Kiwifruit? How about baby or arguta kiwis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sapote(10a)

I don't know about cherimoya variety name, but I always grow them from selected seeds from fruit that I like. In the right climate, a fast grow plant can have flowers in 3 years from seed.
In my experience, the fruit shape as a pipe cone has more complex flavor, more acidity, to my liking. Those with oblong iregular shape tend to have a very sweet as sugar -- just too blan sweet for me. The trick is to know when to pick the fruit from the tree: if it's about to fall off the tree then it's too late (loosing the taste/flavor), and eat it before the white flesh turned to darker color (over ripe).

Don't waste time with a graft tree. Best from seedling.

Sapote

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™