Burning Bushes

irishiii41January 10, 2007

My husband and I bought our house a year ago. There are two burning bushes in the front of the house. We have to dig up the lawn/front of our house in order to replace the plumbing and I'm wondering if there is a way to dig up the burning bushes and replant them when our project is done. Or can I dig them up and move them? BUT I was searching on this website and read something about how burning bushes are bad for the environment? Is it worth it to try to save the bushes? Or should I find something to plant instead of the burning bushes? PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

The burning bushes could be moved if you really want to save them, and they're not too big for you to handle. They are quite inexpensive to buy, however, and you could simply let whoever is digging up the yard remove them for you at their expense and effort, then replace them if you choose. They can be invasive non-natives, though - birds eat the seeds and spread them quickly, and they sprout quite easily. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth your time and energy to move and replant them, or if it's easier to let them be removed and plant new ones, or to plant different shrubs altogether. There are many alternatives to burning bush if you choose to go with natives or non-invasive non-natives, depending on the soil and exposure where you'd want to plant them.

I hope this helps!

Laurel

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™