Ashes from the barbeque

carissimivApril 27, 2009

I cleaned out the barbeque grill this weekend and got a good amount of ashes from last year. I remember my grandfather used to add wood ashes to his tomato garden and he had great tomatoes. Can I use these ashes from charcoal briquettes? I do use lighter fluid to start the fire, but I would think that has to be gone by the time the briquettes have turned to ash.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

carissimiv

Maybe someone can give you sounder advice about adding it to your garden or not, but whenever I've thought of doing it, I decided not to because of the greases from the meats dripping into the ashes. Maybe it all gets consumed by the fire but I just don't know. Just in case, I do know that I don't want animal fat in my vegetable soil!

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:38AM
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

I have compost piles, so that's where my ashes go. We put the ashes from the fire pit at our cabin around the base of trees. I put some ashes directly in the garden last year, didn't work out too well. Was grandpa adding the ashes in the fall? I don't think I'd do it in the spring.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 11:48AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Charcoal ash from the grill is not recommended because of all the additives not to mention the lighter fluid. Even regular wood ash use is usually limited because it can so easily turn the soil pH alkaline.

There are numerous discussions about this over on the Soil & Compost forum that you should review before making your decision.

Dave

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 12:57PM
solanaceae

I use left over wood ash in very small amounts for the potassium and a bit in the compost pile. As digdirt says it can raise the PH. Rain water and wood ash is actually a recipe for potassium hydroxide.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™