What to do now - Gardenwise?

booberry85(5)January 3, 2013

Well, I'm suffering the effects of "post Christmas present depression" also known as the "winter blahs." I need something to look forward to. What gardening things can I start now to get my mind off winter? I grow primarily vegetables (although do to bug and disease issues I won't be growing tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplants, summer or winter squash, cucumbers and melons!)

I do also grow some perennial flowers (coneflowers, black-eyed susans, daylilies and irises, lilies). I already have a bunch of seeds pulled for growing this year (mostly beans & greens). What else can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I took seed inventory and have started dog-earing pages in seed catalogs. I walk outdoors on all the sunny days. Really, though, I'm dreaming about snorkeling in the Caribbean right now.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 5:18PM
booberry85(5)

I'm in that dream! I'm on the beach in a lounge chair with a rum drink in hand soaking up the sun!

The weekend between Christmas & New years I pulled what seeds I plan to plant this year. I don't think I need to buy many seeds at all this year.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 7:31AM
party_music50

January and February is when I work on my houseplants and tend to plants and bulbs/rhizomes that I overwinter indoors -- cleaning, repotting, taking cuttings, etc. :)

Come February I'll be thinking about what I want to grow this year -- though I should do that earlier if I'll need to order or find any seeds.... I think I'm out of sweet basil seeds. :p By the end of February I'm beginning my seed-sowing with parsley and any perennials or long-germinating seeds. Once March hits it doesn't take long before I'm in full seed planting mode and getting everything going again.

wow... that's quite a list of vegetables that you WON'T be growing this year! I HAVE to have my own tomatoes! I assume you've eliminated them due to disease, so you should at least grow some small tomatoes in pots!

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 9:09AM
booberry85(5)

"wow... that's quite a list of vegetables that you WON'T be growing this year! I HAVE to have my own tomatoes! I assume you've eliminated them due to disease, so you should at least grow some small tomatoes in pots!"

Yeah! I had some big time disease and bug issues in the summer of 2011. Even the tomatoes and peppers in pots did not do well. So I figured I'd give the soil a rest for 2 years and hopefully the bug and disease issues would sort themselves out.

2014 I do plan on planting EVERYTHING again!

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
Used earthboxes for sale
As soon as the snow melts, I will have 15 used earthboxes...
disneynut1977
Sponsored Products
Floating Medallions Rug 7'6" x 9'6" - BLUE
$849.00 | Horchow
Elk Lighting 10145/6AUT Claudio 6-Light Pendant in Satin Nickel & Autumn Glass
Beyond Stores
Frontporch Camping Trip Red Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$39.90 | Bellacor
Mestro Japanese Style Chef's Knife - Pott
$350.00 | HORNE
Home Decorators Area Rug: Imperial Light Blue 1' 9" x 2' 9"
$29.00 | Home Depot