What to do now - Gardenwise?

booberry85(5)January 3, 2013

Well, I'm suffering the effects of "post Christmas present depression" also known as the "winter blahs." I need something to look forward to. What gardening things can I start now to get my mind off winter? I grow primarily vegetables (although do to bug and disease issues I won't be growing tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplants, summer or winter squash, cucumbers and melons!)

I do also grow some perennial flowers (coneflowers, black-eyed susans, daylilies and irises, lilies). I already have a bunch of seeds pulled for growing this year (mostly beans & greens). What else can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I took seed inventory and have started dog-earing pages in seed catalogs. I walk outdoors on all the sunny days. Really, though, I'm dreaming about snorkeling in the Caribbean right now.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 5:18PM
booberry85(5)

I'm in that dream! I'm on the beach in a lounge chair with a rum drink in hand soaking up the sun!

The weekend between Christmas & New years I pulled what seeds I plan to plant this year. I don't think I need to buy many seeds at all this year.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 7:31AM
party_music50

January and February is when I work on my houseplants and tend to plants and bulbs/rhizomes that I overwinter indoors -- cleaning, repotting, taking cuttings, etc. :)

Come February I'll be thinking about what I want to grow this year -- though I should do that earlier if I'll need to order or find any seeds.... I think I'm out of sweet basil seeds. :p By the end of February I'm beginning my seed-sowing with parsley and any perennials or long-germinating seeds. Once March hits it doesn't take long before I'm in full seed planting mode and getting everything going again.

wow... that's quite a list of vegetables that you WON'T be growing this year! I HAVE to have my own tomatoes! I assume you've eliminated them due to disease, so you should at least grow some small tomatoes in pots!

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 9:09AM
booberry85(5)

"wow... that's quite a list of vegetables that you WON'T be growing this year! I HAVE to have my own tomatoes! I assume you've eliminated them due to disease, so you should at least grow some small tomatoes in pots!"

Yeah! I had some big time disease and bug issues in the summer of 2011. Even the tomatoes and peppers in pots did not do well. So I figured I'd give the soil a rest for 2 years and hopefully the bug and disease issues would sort themselves out.

2014 I do plan on planting EVERYTHING again!

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™