Mortgage Lifter

bassmannate(5)April 3, 2011

So, I tried growing this last year and it was wonderful! It produced heavily and the fruit tasted great! The only problem I had was that I left for vacation for a week in June and, when I got back, it was out of control. This was the first year I had so much success with any tomato variety.

My question is how well does this tomato can? I'd like to be able to enjoy them year round. As it stands now, it produced so heavily that my wife and I were able to eat fresh from 3 plants for nearly 6 months!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

My question is how well does this tomato can?

Not real sure what you mean since any tomato variety may be canned whole, crushed, juiced, chopped, as sauce, etc. with no problems as long as your follow the canning guidelines. There is nothing unusual about canning ML.

You might want to check into the Harvest forum here as that is where all the home canners hang out.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to can tomatoes

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 10:19AM
bassmannate(5)

Thanks for the link! I'll also take a look in the Harvest forum!

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 12:24PM
karendee(5WestOFChicago)

That link will help me too. I was afraid to mess up the canning process so I froze some cooked tomatoes one year. It worked well for me.

Karen

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 1:58PM
bigpinks

Posted about the Estler ML on here a few days back. Originated here about 10 miles from Marshall University and it predates the Radiator Charlie. Its my favorite tomato.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 4:16PM
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

Mortgage Lifters tend to be a little "meatier" than some tomatoes. They are not so great for making juice, but for any other canning/freezing, they do fine. We do both every year. In fact, we find that freezing is better because you don't have to mess with skinning them - when you go to use them from the freezer the skins will slip right off.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 9:25PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Here we go. ML then is a good paste tomato as well.
I have one problem with freezing and that is, it requires too much freezer storage space. So I prefer canning to make sause(like spaghetti sauce, reduce to a third) or thicker paste(reduced maybe to an eight).

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:33AM
tom8olvr(Z5 MA)

I'm also a canner - prefer canning to freezing. Also like to can sauce over whole/stewed/crushed tomatoes. ML would be fine.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:08PM
suncitylinda

I made some REALLY GOOD sauce last season from a few ML and not much else. Had it over Chicken Parmesian as I recall and it was to die for. They are meaty and wonderful, one of my favs. Would like to try canning this year. Will be my first time, hope I dont kill myself lol Linda

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
fertilizer recipe for tomatoes?
First I found something in the local hardware store...
kawaiineko_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™