Fast-growing evergreen screens

pbl_ge(5/6)January 1, 2012

Hi!

We're new to the area, and have just removed a lot of invasive plants from our quarter acre in Amherst (privet, buckthorn, ivy). We are now unfortunately very exposed to our neighbors. We're probably going to be putting in a chain link fence (my husband's preferred option) to contain the dog that I'm insisting we get (marriage is all about compromise, right?).

So, we need some ideas for evergreen hedges that can grow on the inside of this fence, hiding both the fence and our neighbors' yards. We'd probably do a mix of things, perhaps in different areas, perhaps intermixed, so it's not totally boring. The soil samples we tested have consistently been between 6.9-7.1. As you'll see in the photo, there's also a fair bit of shade.

Eventually we'll be filling in other perennials in front of the hedge backdrop. (The back neighbors are getting ready to set up an ice skating situation.)

Would love some ideas for plants that would grow well in our zone (5) in this shade and soil condition.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

do you have deer problems? If not, arborvitae is a fast growing evergreen. Yew is slow and deer love it. boxwood is slow.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernd ny zone5

In case you desire conifers, you should address the conifer forum and show your picture. Usually conifers want sun, but there might be some for shade. Always consider the width after many years. Though a privet hedge may be pruned and shaped easily, but you removed it.
Bernd

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Does anyone have Dracunculus vulgaris? (Dragon Lily)?
I'm wondering if it's going to have survived this intensely...
ridgetop01
Used earthboxes for sale
As soon as the snow melts, I will have 15 used earthboxes...
disneynut1977
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
Sponsored Products
Porcelina U-Clips 24-Inch Six-Light Dark Bronze Pendant Bowl With U-Clips
$798.00 | Bellacor
'All My Children Have Paws' Frame
$9.99 | zulily
Clouds 48-Inch Bowl Pendant with U-Clips
Bellacor
Fire Pit: Granite Fire Pit Table
$269.98 | Hayneedle
GARDENA Electronic Water Meter - 9188
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Fusion Tapered Clips 18-Inch Three-Light Brushed Nickel Pendant Bowl With Tapere
$550.00 | Bellacor
Stately Seahorse Reversible Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Matrix Wall/Ceiling Light by Illuminating Experiences
$81.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™