Neelum Mango: thoughts?

bluepalmJune 21, 2010

Has anyone tasted a Neelum mango? I'm interested in getting one but want some taste feedback before I do. Thanks!

Bluepalm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

I would say if you have access to a Mallika, that's the best alternative. I have read it has the best characteristics of both it's parents, Neelum and Dashehari (sp?), I believe Neelum was the female parent.

Gary

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 9:03AM
bluepalm

I just read that it has very poor anthracnose resistance (at least in Australia...from a website there). I have the Mallika and am looking for a very small, excellent tasting condo mango for a family member's yard (we already have the Fairchild, Lancetilla, Nam Doc Mai, Mallika, Graham, Florigon, and Rosigold).

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 9:16AM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

Cogshall :)

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:44PM
squam256

Cogshall is a possibility. Ice Cream is another variety that stays small, though I'm not sure about their fungus resistance.

Duncan would not be a bad choice. They can be kept pretty small and are supposed to be good quality and also pretty anthracnose resistant.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 1:07PM
mango_nut(10a)

I bought a nice 7 gal neelum @ the Manatee Rare Fruit Council sale a couple of months ago. It actually had around 5 little mango's on it. Its only holding 3 right now and none will probably make it, but time will tell. They are around the size of an extra large egg. As for the tree and mango's, they are showing no evidence of anthracnose. I went with the neelum as it was dwarf / semi-dwarf and late season. I did consider the lancetilla, but Harry responded stating that the neelum produced well for him. So I hoping for lots of smaller mango's than a fewer larger ones. I'm still looking for a early season mango, which I have not decided on yet. I'm leaning towards the rosigold or the jean ellen. I have plenty of other mid-season mango's (June / July - here in Florida). Best of luck and congrats on the next one...

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 1:40PM
swrancher

I have a Neelum mango tree that I planted last year. So far it has had no issues with anthracnose.

The main positive for me getting a Neelum tree is that its the variety that fruits last in the season going into October and November. I have a Rosigold tree to start the season extra early and then my Neelum to extend it for as long as possible.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 2:13PM
Barry5251

I know this comes late, but here it goes. Neelum has a very intense, almost primitive, spice flavor that may be too strong for most persons. In S Miami area, I have had difficulty with the fruit reaching maturity without becoming rock-hard on the tree. When the fruit does reach maturity, it is late August (the reason I purchased the tree). In 2014, when several other varieties (Rosigold, Cogshall, Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Angie, Fairchild) on the same land flowered and set fruit nicely, the Neelum barely set any fruit and only a couple appear likely to reach full size. I have considered top-working this nine year old tree into another variety as I am not happy with it overall.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™