stable vegetable trellis for windy garden

joannaqcw(NY 4/5)January 14, 2009

I've been on a small farm in upstate NY, slightly east of Lake Ontario, for 8 years. Before that I gardened in southern Maine.

Our land in ME was fairly sheltered, and we grew pole beans on tipis, tomatoes and peas on trellises. I tried that on our Upstate garden, which is on top of a hill in an area that gets heavy wind off the lake. The tipis and trellises blew down. We tried hanging trellis wire from a beam supported by a series of heavy-framed 5-6' equilateral triangles; they blew down and smashed.

I've been keeping everything low for the last couple of years, but I miss Sugarsnap peas and Northeaster pole beans. I wonder if anyone has figured out how to trellis in a windy area. I've heard of making arches out of concrete reinforcing grid wire. Would this be windproof? Would it be stable if made into arches large enough to support 5-6' plants? Any other ideas?

Thanks for taking time to read this. Happy seed ordering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

Lake Ontario has a nasty habit of sending off some really hard winds. Perhaps instead of trying to fight the winds could you change the location of your peas and pole beans to someplace that is better sheltered?
If not you are going to have to really anchor anything you put into the ground pretty good so those winds don't turn it into a weapon of destruction.
My DD went to school up in Oswego so I know how strong those winds can be. They can rip doors off of buildings!
I'd be concerned that even if you do get something into the ground that will stay that the wind would burn the leaves or damage the crop so bad your efforts would be in vain.
Could you maybe grow them along the side of the house Potage style?

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hilomark(z5 NY)

Here is a source for some pretty heavy-duty and long-lasting welded-wire supports from Lafayette, NY. The company is called Garden Trellises Inc., and I have been very happy with the supports I bought from them at a garden show years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Trellises Inc.

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™