Hollyhocks

victory_tea2085(z6 Ny)January 15, 2006

Thought I would winter sow some hollyhocks but wanted to check with fellow gardeners before I order seed. Is there a downside to perennial hollyhocks or are they just as colorful ect. as the biennial flower? I was in the Sodus Point area last summer and noted some very, very tall hollyhocks, anyone have any ideas as to the variety? Lastly, does anyone have a tried and true source that they have used for hollyhock seed. I think I would like the perennials unless advised otherwise.

Thanks for any info

Paul F B

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Although I haven't ordered from this site, I've heard great things about the quality:

Diane's Flower Seeds

This will be my first year with hollyhocks, both perennial and biennial. Hoping to have much success.

Tracy

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 8:08AM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Woops, guess I should have visited the site first. She only offers one type of hollyhock.

Here is my second try:

Swallowtail Seeds

I KNOW for sure they have tons of seeds!

Tracy

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 8:11AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

I'm not sure what you mean by perennial hollyhocks...maybe some malva? I've grown them all, and the biennial kinds are by far the most enchanting, especially the old fashioned single type. In my garden the plants come back and flower for two seasons sometimes. The malvas and lavateras are lovely, but with shorter plants and smaller flowers...not as impressive, and some can be rangy looking and/or short-lived. Try them all and decide what you like.

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 1:32PM
ridgetop01(z5 CNY)

I have grown various hollyhocks from seed, my problem seems to be getting rid of them - they reseed freely. Hollyhock "Antwerp" is supposed to be rust-resistant, I'm cultivating/planting those lately, because rust is the one problem I do have with these lovely, towering flowers.

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 12:59PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I wintersowed Malvas and the regular hollyhocks. The down side for me was japanese beatles and runt. The rus didn't affect my malvas but they did affect the regulars. I finally gave up and am not going to fool with them anymore. They need an airy open area to grow with less chance of rust and I just don't have that kind of environment. My malvas were grown in clumps which gave the appearance of bushier plants. They also got about 5 ft. tall and loaded with blooms but once the Jap. beatles arrives I ended up pulling them out along with the regular hollyhocks.

Penny

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Sponsored Products
Hollyhock Root - Set of Five
$8.99 | zulily
Hollyhock Garden Framed Wall Art by Don Li-Leger - 21.43W x 21.43H in. Multicolo
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Dale Tiffany Hollyhock Flush Mount - 7096/3LTF
$217.99 | Hayneedle
Original Painted Hollyhock Study - PINK
$895.00 | Horchow
Hollyhock Birdhouse
$180.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™