dragon fruit cutting question

mulleniumJune 28, 2012

after the winds lastnight i went out to check on my plants, one of my cuttings from over the winter looked like it was flopped over so i inspected it and the internal stem that grows inside the dragon fruit 'arms' looked like somehow it pulled out?

its hard to explain

the dragon fruit cutting seemed like it slid up that internal stem causing it to flop over, i tried to push the green part back down so the stem would go back inside but in turn snapped that stem.. so now I have the green part of a dragon fruit with about 3 nodes growing vertical, and the stick stem park with all the roots on the end.. i planted them both back in the same pot and just going to see what happens

has anyone had that happen before?

I was reading online and ppl say to cure your cutting for a week before planting them, is that to dry the internal stem up to make it so it doesnt slide around the inside of theplant? cuz this cutting i just planted it right away

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

its mainly to prevent rot. just dont stick it in wet soil. slightly moist is ok, but dont water for 2 weeks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

If it came away like that it seems the rot was in there. Normally those parts don't separate so easily. But yes, you can leave them drying off for quite a while without any detriment to the plant (in shade). And if you lay them on damp soil roots will soon start and go down.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™