Frostbittten Tomatoes

happyhelperApril 19, 2013

My tomato plants have some cold damage on some of the leaves. Will this stunt them? They were in my garden shed when it turned cold last week. Should I just clip off the damaged leaves and hope for the best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Keep the leaves: there's undamaged area there which can make energy for your plant.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:11PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree. Just leave it alone and protect it from further damage if needed. The overly damaged leaves will eventually fall off on their own.

Dave

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:32PM
happyhelper

Thanks very much for your advise. It was 88 degrees yesterday and today has gone down to 44 and may freeze by tomorrow morning. I have brought them all into the house tonight. Tomorrow night will be colder. I am going to be more careful with them from now on.
Helen

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 6:58PM
barnhardt9999(8a)

IMO that looks more like sunburn than frostbite. Did you harden them off? Are you sure there was frost?

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 8:51PM
happyhelper

There wasn't frost but it got down to about 32 or 33 degrees and my garden shed is missing half its roof. Storm last summer blew off half the roof and it hasn't been repaired yet. Your right, it does look like sunburn now that you mention it.
Maybe could be sunburn since the roof isn't all there but the problem seemed to start after that cold night. They almost drowned from the last rain. I think all that water probably took away all the nutrients out of the pot. My poor tomatoes are having a rough start this year.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy
The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both...
hudson___wy
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Soil help needed please!
Hi there. After a number of seasons of successfully...
bustergordon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™