Growing erica carnea in New York??

yoyobon_gwFebruary 20, 2014

I'm reading one of my favorite writers of cozy English books....Beverley Nichols.
He writes with humor about refurbishing a 1930's cottage and gardens in England in " Down The Garden Path".

I find that his reference to various flowers, especially winter flowering types has piqued my interest.

Does anyone know if it is possible to grow erica carnea ( winter heather) in New York ?

All the sites I have found regarding this plant are UK sites.

Thanks for your help :0)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Although Erica carnea is listed for Zone 5a it requires a special planting technique to keep it growing for years. This is the method I used in the Zone 5 upstate area. Dig a shallow planting hole, Place a good sized flat rock a few inches in the hole flat and plant the Erica sideways with all the roots under the rock. Fill in the planting hole, covering the rock with a bit of soil if you wish. Plant foliage will turn and grow upright again shortly. The flat rock protects the roots from freezing. May be a bit of winter burn depending on snow cover but heather should recover well. This technique can be used for any perennial on the questionable edge of a growing zone.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™