What Tomato Disease? pics

az_pamperedchef(9)April 20, 2011

Ok, no one get angry at me. I did do a search trying to identify my problem, well my tomato problem that is. The search only confused me further. I'm having an issue with my tomatoes. I have 21 plants in containers, all different varieties. The pots are very large, light colored plastic on a drip system with dried leaves at the base for mulch. Been in the pots almost 2 months already. We've had temps in the 90's lately, nights in the low 60's, but I've been do the finger check to make sure not to over-water them.

The plants were doing great, then about 3 weeks ago my hubby sprayed Weed-B-Gone, some herbicide and it drifted to the plants because within a couple of days the leaves displayed the characteristic whitish yellow centers in the leaves and new blossoms. Beside getting upset I figured there wasn't anything I could do to remedy the damage. Well, now the plants look awful. Their growth is definitely stunted, the bottom leaves are becoming soft, not necessary wilting, but are drying, becoming brittle and dying. I don't see any spots on the leaves, nor do I see any black dots similar to insect droppings. What I have seen is kind of powdery dust on some leaves. The uppermost and I mean uppermost of some look like new healthy growth is coming, but some just seem to be dying a slow death.

I've included photos of leaves and some plants to see if it helps anyone in identifying the problem.

Green Pineapple, tiny plant with tomatoes on it!

Mr. Stripey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Compare your plants to these photos and see if it helps narrow it down.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU - Tomato Leaft Diseases Pics

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 3:45PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

There are several weed b gone products but one of the major ingredients is called, for short, 2,4- D and it looks like your plants have sustained major damage from that. Such contact herbicides don't just stay on the foliage and cause symptoms, they can also be internalized and can kill a tomato plant.

Below I'v elinked to Google IMAGES to show some pictures and there are lots more if you just Google weed b gone tomatoes other than at Google IMAGES.

Glyphosphate is the herbicide that causes the yellowish areas in new areas of leaf growth and glyphosphate is better known as Roundup.

So if it was weed b gone that was used you wouldn't have seen those yellowish areas.

My best guess for the day. And surely others will have other opinions. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: 2,4-D herbicide damage

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 4:59PM
thisisme(az9b)

Many of the pictures in the Google Image search clearly are not 2,4-D herbicide damage.

I don't know what it is for sure but a far better place to go than Google images is Cornell University Vegetable MD Online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell University Vegetable MD Online

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 8:50PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Herbicide damage.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:14PM
Julie717

This is somewhat unrelated but if your husband was using the weedkiller for a lawn you might encourage him to look for "corn gluten meal" (not plain cornmeal). It is sold at animal feed stores as a protein supplement, for cattle.

The corn gluten is an organic nitrogen fertilizer and it suppresses germination of seeds. It doesn't kill weeds, but it keeps new ones from sprouting from seed. I used to use it where I lived before, but now I can't find anyone who sells it around here. Although I did use it in heavier quantities than usually recommended, a 50 pound bag for a c. 1500 sq ft lawn. It doesn't do anything to clover, since that spreads underground, but I like clover because it feeds the bees and it's pretty. It is really good to prevent all those purple weeds that sprout in early spring before the bermuda greens up (I think it's called henbit?).

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
What is a good source for heirloom tomato seeds in Canada?
I've decided to get into heirloom tomato this year....
lemonbasil
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Overwhelmed with tomato variety options, need some help choosing...
I realize that for many of you tomatophiles, planting...
stringz
Sponsored Products
Concept Cordless LED Picture Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Nesco PIC-14 Portable 1500-Watt Induction Cooktop
Overstock.com
Bocci | 14.1 Single Pendant
$350.00 | YLighting
Pics On A Wire Frame
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Possini Euro Crystal Balls 23 1/2" Wide Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting