What will grow over an old pine stump

KatHelmsFebruary 20, 2012

I just cut down a number of large white pine trees in my back yard. A couple of them had huge above grade roots, and I don't want to try and pay for stump removal or grinding.

So I started thinking, they are in great spot - now that there's no shade there - to mound up some soil and put in a big circular bed.

But I am wondering if the acidity in the soil or the decomposing stump/roots would be detrimental to certain plants, or if I could plant things as I normally would.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of annuals or vegetables, no shrubs or woody plants. It probably would be at least a 20ft diameter mound, which is pretty large. But I'm just trying to brainstorm at this point!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

You should be able to mound soil and plant over it. Pine especially decomposes quickly. I would not expect any problems from the stumps, but the soil might be rather depleted from having a big tree there. So how about putting a thick layer of manure or compost down first, then topsoil. No need to rototill, the worms will move it around.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 6:03AM
More Discussions
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™