Brutal Windstorm

wantoretire_didFebruary 18, 2006

Hi all -

Yesterday and last night we had a brutal windstorm with 65 mph winds and were without power, hence water, heat, etc. from about noon yesterday (Friday) until 5:00 AM today, and cable/internet was off until nearly noon. We did have bottled water to drink and took water from the stream to flush. Neighbors went out and got pizza so we dined here by candlelight and oil lamps!! Temps dropped drastically. When the furnace went on at 5:00 AM, it was 52 in the house. Thanks to a very heavy comforter and a blanket, we were comfortable.

DH went to the mall late morning today. No traffic lights between here and there (near exit 15) and all stores are closed. No power. I went to the $$ store at the other end of town. No power :-(

A tree fell on the cab of a state worker's truck on Ave. of the Pines and killed him around noon yesterday. That's the worst. Thousands of people were still without power as of midday today.

Carol

We are thankful that we came out none the worse.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Carol,
Good to hear from you and know that you are all right. I have heard that there are still thousands of people without power. Temps are bitterly cold but hopefully we are on the downside of winter now and it won't be long lived.

Penny

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 4:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantoretire_did

DS is here. He lives 5 miles due north of us and is still without electricity, probably until Tuesday. So he's here doing laundry, having a home cooked meal, and will stay over.
Weather is wierd everywhere. I saw 4 robins this morning :-)

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™