when can I move shrubs?

jj_upstatenyMarch 21, 2009

So it is warming up in the Southern Tier and things are starting to bud... I want to move a spirea (probably a Froebelii Spirea?) that has overgrown its spot next to the house. When can I move this? (I must admit I'm going to have some youngsters here tomorrow who could help me with the digging...) Am I nuts to think of doing this in March?

Thanks, I'm pretty new at this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

As long as the ground is workable you can transplant. Right now is as good a time as any. Dig the transplant hole first so the spirea roots aren't drying out waiting to be put in it's new site. I transplanted a load of shrubs I started a few years ago from cuttings. I was able to transplant right up till the end of June here. A few pieces of advice, - transplant on an overcast day, water, water, water everyday, and cut back the plant by half after transplanting (this is especially important for success).

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 6:33PM
jj_upstateny

Thanks lovetogarden. I didn't wind up transplanting yet, largely because I realized it would take me too long to prepare the transplant hole. I don't think I can transplant here until the end of June -- I'm zone 5 -- but I think I have some time. I also think the spirea will be pretty durable, and if it doesn't look fabulous this year, so be it.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 6:52PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

End of June is awfully hot and late for transplanting. You'd be better off doing it now.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 10:01AM
Carol_from_ny

You've got most of April and about half of May you can transplant in before it starts getting a bit too warm for the shrubs. If you miss those time periods shoot for the mid to end of September, first part of October.
I'm in the Binghamton area and my ground is still frozen. Digging now is going to be tough going.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 4:47PM
jj_upstateny

Thanks all. I should clarify, when I said I didn't think I could move shrubs until the end of June, I meant I didn't think that in my area I could transplant *through* the end of June... I would not wait that long! In fact, we moved this yesterday. It went smoothly and I'm optimistic that it will take.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 3:11PM
jj_upstateny

This is an update.... the spirea is doing really well, much better than it did in the old spot as it has more space. Thanks to all who posted!

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 2:52PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

You have been fortunate to have cool weather and lots of rain - perfect for new transplants!

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
Sponsored Products
Jason K3666TL Tub, with Tile Lip
Modern Bathroom
Brown Fish Figure IV
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
14 Series Seven Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$2,450.00 | Lumens
Loft Floor Lamp - D1200 - Jielde
$1,252.00 | HORNE
Domi Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with White Glass
$445.50 | Bellacor