Nitrogen fixing shrubs/small trees native to NE?

blakekr(Zone 5B, NY State)March 29, 2008

I'm trying to find a list of good nitrogen fixers for my sorta-forest garden plans, to go to work on my starved lawn and improve the soil. Had all kinds of plans involving autumn olive, etc., until I found it seems to be banned in NY. Then, many other popular nitrogen fixers are really Wester/great plains plants, and I don't want to try to coax them into survival here, that's not really the point.

So, so far, I've found ... sweet fern. Any other mostly-native suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krazyaroider(Hamburg, NY 14075 Zone 6)

Google Legume or Leguminosae - these plants are considered nitrogen fixers.
If you have or developing a forested - shady garden area, consider planting a Yellowood tree - Cladrastis lutea. Other trees of this Genus are Redbud, Black Locust, Honey Locust, and Kentucky Coffee Tree.
I put trees down as you indicate that you are beginning a forested area in your yard.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njbiology

If you would like nitrogen-fixeing shrub native to New York: buffaloberry (Shepherdia spp.); go with Shepherdia argentea, as the berries are better tasting.

Btw, most of the plants krazyaroider recommends are: non-native (to NY); invasive; and one is not even a nitrogen-fixer: redbud (that's a tricky one, since it is in the bean/legume family).

If you'd like a tree that is nitrogen-fixing, choose a variety of native alder (Alnus spp.)

Btw, keep in mind: buffaloberry is native to the midwest - AND TO NEW YORK - look up the distribution range maps (google: [the plant] + usda).. (...or pollen library)

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 3:47AM
More Discussions
Used earthboxes for sale
As soon as the snow melts, I will have 15 used earthboxes...
disneynut1977
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™