Nitrogen fixing shrubs/small trees native to NE?

blakekr(Zone 5B, NY State)March 29, 2008

I'm trying to find a list of good nitrogen fixers for my sorta-forest garden plans, to go to work on my starved lawn and improve the soil. Had all kinds of plans involving autumn olive, etc., until I found it seems to be banned in NY. Then, many other popular nitrogen fixers are really Wester/great plains plants, and I don't want to try to coax them into survival here, that's not really the point.

So, so far, I've found ... sweet fern. Any other mostly-native suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krazyaroider(Hamburg, NY 14075 Zone 6)

Google Legume or Leguminosae - these plants are considered nitrogen fixers.
If you have or developing a forested - shady garden area, consider planting a Yellowood tree - Cladrastis lutea. Other trees of this Genus are Redbud, Black Locust, Honey Locust, and Kentucky Coffee Tree.
I put trees down as you indicate that you are beginning a forested area in your yard.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njbiology

If you would like nitrogen-fixeing shrub native to New York: buffaloberry (Shepherdia spp.); go with Shepherdia argentea, as the berries are better tasting.

Btw, most of the plants krazyaroider recommends are: non-native (to NY); invasive; and one is not even a nitrogen-fixer: redbud (that's a tricky one, since it is in the bean/legume family).

If you'd like a tree that is nitrogen-fixing, choose a variety of native alder (Alnus spp.)

Btw, keep in mind: buffaloberry is native to the midwest - AND TO NEW YORK - look up the distribution range maps (google: [the plant] + usda).. (...or pollen library)

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 3:47AM
More Discussions
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™