Does This Lychee Have A Future?

brute(Florida 9B)June 30, 2012

I'm going to try to post two photos, but I've never done it here at GardenWeb, but I'll muddle through somehow.

First, is my lychee tree that seems to have recovered nicely from the 2010 Freeze. It was badly damaged and had to be SEVERELY pruned down to almost nothing.

Okay, I think I see a chance to upload a second photo. This is the rotten trunk that is somehow supporting all of these beautiful new branches. Can I expect this trunk to collapse someday when the tree gets much bigger?

Am I wasting precious time nurturing a doomed tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnappi

It looks like the new growth has surrounded the dead growth like a strangler ficus. You have two options... keep it small to let the new trunk growth get sturdy, AND support the new trunk, or pull it and start over and protect the new one from a freeze. I think I'd pull it out.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:36AM
brute(Florida 9B)

You're probably right about starting over, but I think I'm going to prop this tree up somehow till the bitter end. My aunt's ashes were dumped into the hole this tree was planted in back in 2006. I even performed a little ceremony at the time. I've got a sentimental attachment to this tree.
Say, you never did answer my question about whether or not your surveillance system recorded a photo of your mango thieves. If you post their photo here, they might become famous like the "Looter Guy" (google him), or "Lootie", as he is known to his millions of internet fans around the world. If you find the "Lootie" website, be forewarned. You might laugh until tears stream down your face and your sides hurt.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 12:03PM
gnappi

I did get them on my DVR, they were two boys from the neighborhood. The next time I see them I'm going to point out my video cameras, and tell them the next time I catch them in my yard, I'll make them an offer they can't refuse :-)

Sorry, that's the Italian coming out in me!

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:30PM
simon_grow

I would cut the tree to below the damage and have it re-grow from good wood unless you are good at grafting in which case a nurse graft should be able to help.
Simon

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™