Winter Sowing Question

fowlerjenn(z5 NY)March 19, 2005

Hi all, new poster here! I've been lurking for several months.

I haven't had a garden since I was a kid and helped my folks with our vegetable garden. DH and I bought a house in upstate (Greene, near Binghamton) and are moving there from Virginia next week. I intend to start a vegetable garden using the square foot method.

I have really wanted to try winter sowing, but was afraid if I started them here in VA where it has been fairly warm, that they would all die when we moved.

So here is my question for all you experienced winter sowers-Is it too late to start winter sowing seeds when I get up there? I want to do a few annuals for the flower beds and some vegetables. . ..

Thanks in advance-look forward to lots of info and advice!

Jenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kareen(z5 NY Renss.Co.)

Hi Jenn ,
Welcome to the forum and to the great Northeast. You can winter sow as long as you have to wear a sweater outside in the eveings. When it is warm enough to take the sweater off, plants that need stratification won't germinate after that.You can spring sow any seeds that wouldn't need stratification which should work fine for your vegetables and annuals. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 10:17AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Kareen left out one minor detail...in the evening it is cool enough for a sweater, sweatshirt or light jacket all summer long up here, LOL! Seriously, you will find it much cooler here than in Virginia. I have been here 15 yrs and I still wear a sweatshirt and pants in the evening most of the summer. But I also agree with Kareen and as soon as you can plop those seeds in containers and put them out the door.

Penny

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 11:45PM
fowlerjenn(z5 NY)

Thanks! And I'm not worried about the weather-although I've been spoiled for quite a while now, I grew up in Maine and have a good idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Jenn

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 7:37AM
kareen(z5 NY Renss.Co.)

Well, Penny certainly gave me my morning chuckle. That is they way my parents are when they come in from Florida....you would think it was winter.Sooooooo....let me amend my recommendation to Jenn.....when you see most of your neighbors out in the evening without sweaters it s safe . Or just ask one of us once the weather gets warm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 8:52AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

OK Kareen,
I can accept that LOL!

Penny

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 9:45AM
dkotchey(z5)

I live in the Binghamton area and I still have a foot of snow in my backyard. You should have time to winter sow when you get up here. Looks like the weather will be getting warmer next week (high 50; low 30's). That should give you some indication that it's still pretty chilly here.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™