What to do with my lettuce?

faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)March 28, 2006

I ordered some seeds back in January and received a few free packets to try. One of which was lettuce (not sure of the kind- I don't think it said).

I sowed these indoors a few days ago and they have sprouted. I have tons of lettuce all over! Guess I should have sowed with a lighter hand.

Anyway, my question is this: when can I plant these out? I'm not sure when is too early as we can still get frosts up through May. When do you all plant your lettuce out?

Thanks!

Tracy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Tracey,
I grow mine in pots. I already seeded them. I have the pots sitting on my porch. The lettuce starts to grow before last frost time that's why I planted the seeds already. I wish I could tell you exactly when. Maybe someone will have a better answer, but I can post when they start to sprout.
Remy

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 5:38PM
cbs_z5_ny(z5 NY)

I am hardening off some seedlings now, to plant later this week. Here is some info from the Cornell Hort. Department home gardening website:

"Transplants: Sow in 1-inch cells 3 to 4 weeks before transplanting outside. Harden seedlings by reducing water and temperature for 3 days before transplanting. Hardened plants should survive 20 F. Space crisphead transplants 12 inches apart in rows 18 inches apart. Space other varieties 6 to 10 inches apart in rows 12 to 18 inches apart."

-Caroline

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 7:44AM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Thanks Remy & Caroline!

I think I'll start hardening them off once they get a little bigger. I don't even have true leaves on them yet, so I have a few more weeks to go. Guess I'm just getting antsy!

Tracy

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 9:10AM
remy_gw

Tracy,
With this warm weather, mine started sprouting yesterday!
Remy

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 12:40PM
windyridge

It's April 13th and I live in Upstate NY south of Syracuse. Can I plant my lettuce seeds yet?
My blog has pics of some of my seedlings started indoors. I didn't start lettuce tho'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musings at Windyridge Blog

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™