It's amazing what all is growing!

ridgetop01(z5 CNY)March 23, 2012

I've never seen everything grow at the same time like it is right now in our area (Chittenango/Syracuse)! Violets burst into bloom a day or 2 ago, daffodils are in their glory, hyacinth also, forsythia and nanking cherry are blooming together just since yesterday. Fritillaria has sent up a huge mophead (this plant is new to me last year) that I staked and have high hopes for. Lungwort is in bloom, and primrose. Roses are leafing out, dracunculus vulgaris is starting to leaf, Solomon's seal is coming up, petasites are in flower - it's just so weird, everything at once. Usually there's a slow progression, but this is a wild and jumbled chaos. It's fun, but weird too, and very hard to keep ahead of it all with the yard work so as to support all this growth!!!

What do you have going on in your gardens that's different this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lauren1123(4)

This is crazy weather, a little scary even. Just waiting for the cold snap, of course i waited all winter and it never happened, i am zone 4, and my garden is in part shade, so things pop up a little later in my yard, but the crocuses are all ready on the decline, roses, and elderberry have leafed, Lilac have broken bud, Trillium, Bugsbane, Solomon's seal, hardy geraniums, bleeding heart, blue flag iris, Day Lilly's, and Soap wart are coming in strong, Oriental Lilly's starting to break through! Lupines have leafed out, and I have a lovely Sedum, angelina I think its called, a groundcover that turns a lovely red orange through the winter, is all going back to green, its such a tough plant, i left it in a window box over the winter, and its come back beautifully. I planted primroses yesterday they're doing well so far! My husband works in a vineyard, and I know he has concerns about early bud burst, with the cold front that's about to move in, we have noticed the spring migrants are early this year as well. The Osprey that nest in the Winery are back, herons are here, peepers have been going strong for two weeks, it is fun, but I almost feel like I'm not ready yet, so much work to do!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:29PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

My Helleborus has been blooming now for about 2 weeks and people have stopped by to ask what it is.

My Aesculus pavia (Dwarf Red Buckeye) is getting ready to bloom for the very first time. I have waited 4 1/2 yrs to seer this tree bloom. Now I am hoping that the drop in temps won't destroy these early blooms. Below is a link to a photo of one of the branches with the developing blooms clusters.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:21PM
ridgetop01(z5 CNY)

Did your buckeye make it, penny1947? It's very pretty!

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Sponsored Products
Tin Roof Runner 2'5" x 8'
$299.00 | Horchow
s: 88 in. Silver Chrome Metal Arch Lamp OK-9741SR
Home Depot
Justice Design Group FSN-8864 - Pendants 3 Light Small Cluster Pendant - Tall Ta
$420.00 | Hayneedle
Laughlin Chair - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Furniture of America Seline Weathered Elm 5-piece 48-inch Table Dining Set
Overstock.com
Bonita Light Pendant in Blue Tint
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Liuwa Velours Rug by Missoni Home
$5,548.00 | Lumens
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan White Outdoor Floor Lamp with S
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™