WANTED: Vine suggestions

houston123April 12, 2014

Hi,
we recently moved to Houston and bought a house. The house is on a small lot so the back window looks right at the garage door and walls. I wanted to plant a vine on the brick garage wall so it looks a bit nicer-a flowering vine would be nice in white or yellow. However most of the vines I've looked lose their leaves in winter....would you kindly give me some perennial vine suggestions that I could grow over the brick garage wall and not damage it? Also how realistic is to have a mix-a perennial vine with a flowering one? Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Hi Houston123! Since the discussion forum has a wider readership than the exchanges forum I put your question there.

By the way, I would not mix vines. I've tried it, but found that when the annual vine dies back it's a mess to try to clean it out from the perennial one. Hope you find 'the' vine you need for your situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your vine request on the Texas Discussions Page

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andbowen(7b/8a DFW TX)

houston123 - Can you please tell us what type of sun exposure the wall gets? This will help a lot - for instance, if the wall faces North, the options will be significantly different than if it faces West. There are several evergreen vines that also flower that could work in the spot depending on the sun exposure. There are also several deciduous or perennial options (vines that lose their leaves or die back in the winter and regrow in the spring). If you have a photo of the wall, that would also be useful.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
wanted: have: bee brush, aloysia gratissima
Xeric small treelike shrub with while flowers. Not...
Xtal
WANTED: Garden buddies in Dallas area
Hi! I would greatly appreciate anyone who has sun perennials...
mrao77
have: free: bamboo
Not sure of the variety, but do have a few pics if...
Xtal
WANTED: Jujubetexas@
Please put me in contact with JUJUBETEXAS of San Marcos,...
jaxsanmarcos
WANTED: Ft Worth Autumn Swap Nov 1 2014 "Save the Date"
I know it's early, but the calendar is filling up fast! November...
sylviatexas1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™