Sure sign of spring: first slug!

tracywag(Z5 NY)March 31, 2005

UGH! I was clean up a flower bed yesterday and found a big fat, slow, slug. Snip.

And so it begins...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hammerl(z5-6 Amherst NY)

I went through all last summer, a rainy, cool summer, boasting how I didn't have ANY slugs. Sure enough, the dog ran into the back flower bed two days ago, and when I called her in, I found a small slug (a petite one-inch long dark and disgusting one)on her foot when cleaning her off. Ack.

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 11:12AM
adina72(z5 CNY)

Yuck...slugs already? I'm afraid to look...good thing I just bought more Sluggo.

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 4:39PM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Awww man. I'm not looking forward to fighting the slugs again this year.

Where do you guys get your Slug killer stuff? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 11:22AM
adina72(z5 CNY)

I bought Sluggo on eBay. It's safe to use around pets and won't harm the environment. I just more last week.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 2:15PM
oldroser(z5)

My local garden center stocks Sluggo in all sizes - I buy it by the gallon. Needs to be redone every couple of weeks.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 11:01PM
Anne_Marie_Alb(5)

yea.. they are out... I was also afraid to look, but as I was removing some leaf mulch.. I found them. As long as they eat/decompose my dried leaves, they are welcome.

As much as I hate slugs, I can't make myself use sluggo, because it starves them and they die after several days. I try to leave a 'shelter' place for them (a board for example) and in the morning drop them in water with soap. I hope it kills them quickly.
At the HVCC Garden Show, I bought a copper tape (made by Safer), and I'll see how this works.

Nice weekend for slugs...

Anne-Marie

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 8:13AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Yesterday I had the first mosquito buzzing around me.

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 8:53AM
sunsi(z5 NY)

Mosquitos, fleas and slugs...would the world suffer if they went extinct, lol Well ok...slugs and mosquitos feed other critters so they do serve a purpose. :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 7:47AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Last year I used a piece of copper tubing that we had left over from hooking up the icemaker on the refrigerator. I used it to encircle my seedlings after planting them. I didnt notice any slug damage around those plants though I did see the slugs nearby. I quickly removed them with a stick just in case.

Penny

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™