Are there no pests in S. Florida?

franktank232(z5 WI)June 12, 2011

I see all these pictures of mangoes and lychees, etc etc...and yet no threads on insect problems, spraying schedules??? Do you guys just not have many pest issues? I know squirrels and theft are a problem.

Up here in the Midwest its bugs, bugs and more bugs. You want fruit eating pests, we have them. A guy needs to spray about every 7-10 days to get a good looking apple,plum,apricot up here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carbos

I don't know about anyone else here, but I built a model of my mother-in-law which is used as a scarecrow. Nary a pest of any kind to be found.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 7:36PM
squam256

Insects are not much of an issue if at all when it comes to fruit on the trees.....fungus is a much larger issue with mangoes.

Insects are more of a problem with leaves and stem growth. There are chewing insects like root weevil that like to munch of leaves and then there are the piercing/sucking types like spider mites, which I have had to deal with with some of the younger trees I've grafted.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 7:40PM
zands(10b Fl)

Big MedFly infestation last year ruined many mangoes in Palm Beach County. One grove had to destroy $10,000 of mangoes. Early this year we had reports of MedFly in Pompano Beach but it must have been eradicated. No problems this year

Here is a link that might be useful: South Florida MedFly problems

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:49AM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

I have been having a big problem with scale. They are now on every mango tree I have. I tried 70% alcohol with a tooth brush on one tree and it seemed to work well but 1. it was time consuming and 2. they come back quickly because of their reproductive cycle as the branches and soil are where the larvae end up. So I am going to get a big sprayer and try spraying Neem Oil every 5 days.

Any advise would be very much appreciated!!

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:00AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Didn't Israel introduce sterile male Medfly's? I think that has helped that problem.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 11:54AM
mango_kush

Its been extremely dry this Spring, anthracnose wasnt much of a problem.

mangos are resilient to pests, once rooted they pretty much grow effortlessly

lychee get munched on by the asian grey weevil in my yard.

citrus attracts every disease and pest known down here, they have better luck growing it north of here where the winters curb some of the pests

anonas attract borers and beetles

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 10:48PM
mfajar

I agree with mango Kush the only thing my mangos get is the fungus but my citrus gets everything, the leaves are all curled up by one bug, the straight ones have that gooey black/white thing in the under side, the ones remainig are eaten by who knows what. I spray with neem and from time to time sprinkle with copper. But the fruits seem unaffected so far.
Marin the only thing I would recommend with neem is to do it at sunset and if this heat dries them too much water them the next morning in between the cycle. Oh I sometimes mix the neem with a bit of dishwashing detergent.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 6:50AM

thanks mfajar! I alaso forgot to mention the mealy bugs are everywhere too and a rare grey asian weevil here or there.
And I too have been having a problem with some of my citrus trees with the leaves curled up with slime trials underneath them as well. I always ask myself what are the purpose in the food chain these pests and can never come up with any benefit of their existence!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:24AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Marin, I've had scale too on a few of my mango trees. I also use Neem with a few drops of Murphy's oil soap. Helps, but I have to spray it once a week at least 3 weeks in a row. I spray it in the shade(potted) or at sunset so it dries all night before getting full sun again.

Those curly leaves with the trails on them are Citrus Leaf Miners...its on every single Citrus tree in Highlands County! Probably the majority of Citrus in Florida as well. Fortunately unless the tree is very young or newly planted it doesn't affect the fruits...it just makes the Tree really UGLY to look at,lol...I've also had mealies or aphids? on my Citrus this year for the very first time. I HATE bugs!!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 10:42AM
sleep(10a/b)

I had sale on my Carambola and Sweetsop. I used this stuff and it worked well..

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 3:41PM
Man-Go-Bananas(Zone 9)

Does anyone have a picture of the scale?

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 11:14PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Here's a picture I found on the internet...I didn't have them quite this bad but you get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 7:26AM
boson(Delray Beach,Florida)

Hi,

I gave up on growing citrus (from seedlings) because of leaf miners. The killed all leaves and the poor seedlings couldn't survive.

Tomas

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 10:36PM

I went to HD and bought a 32oz bottle of that Bonide pictured above. A bit pricey at $20 bucks compared to cost of other products but worth it if it works well. I also bought a one gallon canister sprayer. I mixed 5 oz of Bonide in a gallon of water. The sprayer was a dreamy application process... A thin but forceful mist that clung to all of the leaves. One gallon was enough to treat all of my trees. I am looking forward to some really healthy trees after this application!

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:09PM
sleep(10a/b)

Marin,

It is a bit pricey, but it really did the job for me.

I needed to repeat the application a couple of times on my sweetsop, since it was pretty heavily infested with scale. You may need to do a few repeats as well..

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 3:28PM

I was planning to repeat the process every 7-10 days until my trees are bug/disease free! The liquid didn't smell bad either. I hope it is no6t a killer on Lady bugs.... I have lots of them around.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Fertilzing with Alfalfa Pellets
Hi I would like to fertilize my young mangos with alfalfa...
jalilu
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Sponsored Products
Margo Clover Fabric Black Dining Chair
bryght.com
Old Modern Handicraft Normandy Painted
Beyond Stores
Finger Mobile Drum Pendant by Carpyen
$819.84 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Olivera Warm
Home Depot
Calhoun Armless Sofa - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture