Four-o-clocks in Zone 5 CNY?

ridgetop01(z5 CNY)March 3, 2005

For those of you who grow 4-o-clocks in zone 5, are they perennial for you or do you grow them as annuals? I love them, but haven't tried them because I fear they won't get enough size in this area to make it worth my while.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Ridgetop

4:00s aren't perennial up here but they will reseed like crazy all on their own.
Here is one picture of one patch of my 4:00s from last summer and they were in partial morning sun only.

penny

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 1:11PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

i forgot to mention that they got about2 1/2'-3' high. I am on the border of zone 5&6 If you want seeds let me know.

penny

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 1:13PM
cats39(z5 Upstate NY)

Hi Ridgetop!

I've been planting and growing 4's for five years now. It's a shame that some people think of them as evasive. For Zone 5 they are annual but I've saved the tubers. I pulled a tuber on my second year that measured over 36" long. When I seperated it for the next year of planting I had a piece left over and let it grow in a compost area where it grew to almost over 7' tall. The main stem diameter was as large as a Silver Dollar.

It was terracotta and beautiful. I have photos but can't post. I don't live to far away from you just outside of Syracuse.

I've had a lot of fun with the four's and for two years used them as a fund raiser for our Neighborhood Watch when I lived in Syracuse. The theme was beautification but the fact they were an evening flower we emphazised "they watched" over the neighborhood at night.

Seedlings were .25 cents ea. or 5 for $1.00. And potted tubers sold from $3.00 to $5.00. We raised up to $400.00 on each spring occasion.

It was fun to share the beauty.

Just an added note when I plant our Dahlias in the area where we now live, were deer are a plenty I intersperse the Dahlias with Four's since they are poisonous to deer. I don't know if it works or not but I haven't had a problem.

Good luck with your fours.

Jim

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 7:59PM
oldroser(z5)

Four o'clocks will get to be a fair size and blossom freely if grown from seed.
For a head start, you can buy tubers. very cheaply, from Brent and Becky.
The ones I like best are the multi-color ones and, unfortunately, a lot of the self-sown ones are solid color.

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 5:35AM
wrennie(z5 NY)

I've started 4's indoors a few weeks before planting time and they get to a good size with lots of bloom. i started some in a 'hot house' one year and transplanted them. Those got huge. I'm in the Catskill Mountains where theres not a huge long growing season.
Nancy

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 2:01PM
dogmom_NY(z5 NY)

They do so well for me that I got tired of digging up the tubers every year, so now I keep them only in containers. My little hummingbirds adore them and happily visit them on the deck. This helps with the territory wars my hummers have--one can be at the feeder and another at the 4-o'-clocks. After the frost I plunk the containers in the basement and pay no attention to them till I see them coming up in the spring. Starting them from seed is a breeze, and I'm not a very experienced gardener.

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 6:07PM
BronwynC(Z6 WNY)

Just another question on these. I have a fence that I would love to plant four o'clocks at the base. How invasive are these plants in WNY? I live in Hamburg, NY and I love the look but I don't want the plants to come out of the bed I want to plant them in.

Thank you in advance,

Bron

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™