Wilt, frostbite or sunburn?

Solorya(7a)April 20, 2013

I'm a newbie at tomatoes and bought this Amish paste at a reputable local growers. The past week here in Oklahoma we've had from a hot sunny day to a hard freeze in a matter of hours. I covered the plant, but its lower leaves are nearly dead and the middle ones are yellowing and getting crispy. The top portion of the leaves (which I double covered with a milk jug and a cover during the freeze) are still green and healthy.

I'm not sure if this is from the harsh sun, the freezing temps, or from a type of wilt. I've read for wilt to destroy the whole plant, which I'm hoping I don't have to do because there's four baby tomatoes on it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Solorya(7a)

Here is another pic

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 12:28PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

It's possible it was the hard freeze, but if it was covered, usually only the outside portion of the plant touching the cover would be dead, and the damaged part quickly turns dark and not a gradual yellow wilting like yours. It kind of looks like wilt, but the plant is so young, it might not be. I would probably remove the hopeless foliage (or not, you could wait a while) and hope for the best.....

This post was edited by edweather on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 16:38

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 1:15PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

it looks like sun and windburn. If it just went from the greenhouse to a sunny day, and then some wind, and then some cold, wow for all that it looks pretty good. I would just leave it alone. It will recover.
if it looked good when you got it, then it's not wilt. it wouldn't show that fast.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™