When do tulips/daffs bloom in CNY?

phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)March 16, 2006

I have only been growing flowers a few years now, and only recently double daffodils and a few tulips (Mayflowering and Angelique). I am in the Syracuse area. I know that this weather has been very weird...so I know it's hard to guesstimate, but on average, about what time would be the earliest I should expect them to bloom? Thanks! :0) Phyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adina72(z5 CNY)

It all depends on the variety you planted. Some bloom early, mid and late season. Last year my daffies started blooming mid April. Don't have tulips yet (too many voles).

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 8:55AM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Thanks for the info Adina! Phyl

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 4:49PM
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

Phylrae,

I live in the Binghamton area. Usually I have daffodils by the second week of April, and tulips starting a week or two after that. I'm hoping for an earlier show this year; I've already got crocuses blooming all over the place. Microclimate makes a big difference, too - I have one clump of daffodils that always blooms two weeks earlier than the other daffodils, because it's right next to the house and gets warm morning sun in the spring.

Laurel

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 5:47PM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Laurel,
Thanks for letting me know about when things bloom in Binghamton. Can't wait, can you? :0) Phyl

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 4:59AM
Aurore(Zone 4/5 NY)

My daffs bloom about mid April and my tulips about the first of June. It does depend on the variety. Double flowering tulips usully bloom later for me than singles. Dwarf variety tulips will bloom earlier. The mini varieties of daffs could bloom with my crocus. Basically the bloom season starts with my snow drops(which are blooming now) followed by crocus, followed by daffodils, followed by grape hyacinths and tulips.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 2:47PM
remy_gw

Phyl,
My Iris Reticulata are blooming right now. The blooms are quite big for such little plants! They are tough too. They will bloom, snow covers them, it melts, and there are the iris looking like nothing happened. I have them planted near the door area since I'm not roaming the yard much this time of year. I'm glad I planted them. They are such a pick me up, and for other people too. A garden lady just stopped by the house with seeds today and she exclaimed, "Oh my! You have flowers blooming!"
I realize I veered from your topic of Tulips or Daffodils, but I thought you might be interested in growing the iris in the future : )

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 3:40PM
adina72(z5 CNY)

Remy - I am very glad you mentioned that...will have to get some of those irises!

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™