cutting back a butterfly bush

jerome69(6)March 14, 2013

am going to cut back my butterfly bushes in the next week or so.is it to early for the buffalo n.y. area?and what kind of fertilizer would be good for them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

I just did a quick search to find this:
http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_buddleja_buddleia.htm

which seems to indicate that earlier is better and March should do fine. I'd do it now because you're a zone warmer than me and I've already got willow budding up here.

I didn't search for the fertilizer for you. :p I just wanted to warn you against fertilizing too early! you don't want to send it into a growth spurt when it should still lay dormant in this colder (freeze-prone) weather.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:47AM
christine1950

Yes do it now, I always cut mine back in Feb..and I wouldnt fertilize now either. Good Luck

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:23PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

I wait till I see leaf sprouts at the base of the bush and/or along the stems, and then cut back to that. A late heavy frost can cause die-back if I prune too early. It may also depend on what type of buddleia you have. Some are hardier than others. Mine does better when I wait.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:30PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Like susan, I always wait until I see new leaves coming out and I prune it right down to the new growth at the base. It is nearly the middle of April and mine haven't been pruned yet. I am just now starting to see new growth on mine this year. We are also going to have another short lived cool snap and rain over the week end so I am thinking that I may be able to cut them back the first part of next week
Penny

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:54AM
RachaelLemmon(5)

I didn't cut mine back , it was green so I left it.... and it is leafed out to the top. Not sure which kind it is but it was a 6 inch stick last year , got it for 6 dollars and now it's taller than me. Couldn't believe how it grew so quickly.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™