Anyone planting tomatoes outside in zone 7A (Brooklyn NY)?

dssguy99April 4, 2012

I got a few 9 packs at home depot the other day when they had their "50% off sale". I spend $3.00 on 18 plants so Im not overly worried if they dont make it...Im wondering if I should just plant them to see what will happen. Should I just keep them in the 9 pack containers for a little longer? I currently have them in a mini greenhouse keeping them warm overnight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

I'm in 7A, but in SC. Mine have been planted in the ground for 2 weeks and are doing great, but it hasn't been below 50 at night in about 6 weeks. We have actually had some day's get above 90, weird weather.

I have some in homemade 5 gallon "earthtainers" that I planted over a month ago and left outside. They are blooming!

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:09PM
dssguy99

Actually I checked and Im in zone 7B. NOAA is predeicting temps in the lower 40s overnight for the next week or so... . I dont think that would kill them though.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:23PM
trudi_d

It's still a bit early to get those into the ground. Hold off at least two weeks. This is an oddball year for weather and it's not the norm. After five or six more years of this mildness then you could likely to be safe to get those maters into the ground in early April.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™