My old shrubs need to go

sweetpea_meMarch 4, 2005

We recently bought a home built in 1963 and I think the shrubs around our entrance are just about as old as the home. Although they were healthy last year I am yearning for a fresh look. I would love a suggestion for replacing them. The plot faces north, gets minimal morning light due to very tall nearby pine trees and our livingroom window is about 6 feet off the ground in that area (split level home). I don't want to obscure my view but I'm not opposed to losing a foot or so of my view if I have something nice to look at and something the birds can enjoy. Lastly, I am inexperienced but unafraid! Thanks for reading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Get a soil test done, specifically a pH test. If you have acid soil, there are a fair number of options. With a higher pH and a northern exposure, the number of choices falls off drastically.

Bookmark   March 4, 2005 at 8:14PM
nagamaki

Hi, depending on how the soil checks out, some nice choices include rhododendron, azaleas, Japanese maples, numerous dwarf evergreens, to mention a few.
The soil can always be ammended, too.

ciao

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 2:08PM
sweetpea_me

Nagamaki your photos on your web page are lovely. I currently have 1 rhododendron, 1 azalea and 2 evergreens in that spot, one coneshaped one George Jetson style. I will get the soil tested so I'll know what my other options are.

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 7:36PM
nagamaki

In that case a Japanese maple might be a consideration. Many shapes and color combinations from which to choose. If your other plants are fairing well, it sounds like the soil should be fine.

Bookmark   March 6, 2005 at 12:06AM
More Discussions
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™