What's happened, please?

VivVarble(8B)April 24, 2014

I was out walking the garden this morning and came upon this. It wasn't like this yesterday. Found no other affected leaves or tomatoes. It is a red currant cherry tomato plant. Any ideas or information would be much appreciated.

~Viv

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VivVarble(8B)

Here is another red currant cherry tom that is in a 5 gallon bucket away from the others. I haven't the slightest idea what it has all over the leaves. I have since picked off every affected leaf and discarded in the trash since I didn't know what it was. 3 days prior to this photo I sprayed everything in the garden with neem oil in the recommended dosage. It is looking better, mostly naked without all those leaves. Any ideas?

~Viv

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:27PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

About the second problem, I think it is a fungal problem. I would spray the plant with Daconil, per recommendation on the bottle. ( I have concentrate and mix ONE tsp per gallon).

I think I have a similar problem with just ONE of my tomato plants and that is the ONLY one that I have bought from HD. The rest of them are home grown from seed and do not have that symptom.

It can/may also be a nutrient deficiency. But I am not sure.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:08PM
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

I second the Daconil. Spray weekly. It won't make the already-brownish leaves better (you did the right thing, taking them off), but it does help at least slow down the progression of the fungus.

On your current tomato, I'm not for sure, but it actually looks more like slug damage. Was it still on the plant or had it fallen off?

Edie

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:41PM
ncrealestateguy

Slugs usually rasp or scrape... that looks like worm (caterpillar) damage.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:19PM
VivVarble(8B)

These toms were started from seeds indoors as were the basil and marigolds in the same bed. Is the daconil organic? Is there something else I could use, compost tea perhaps, if it is fungal?That is all I'm using thus the neem oil that I sprayed. I haven't seen any slugs and I've been looking, I do have caterpillars and grasshoppers though. The tomato was still attached to the plant and I removed it. I appreciate the replies, thank you.

~Viv

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Why Black Krim Tomatoes grow like that.
Started seedlings of Black Krim Tomato in Asia last...
mmm100
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™