Hello :)

auron22(6b OH)June 28, 2013

I'm not all that new to GW, but very....very new to this forum. I've recently been struck by the urge to grow plants indoors that supply edible fruit, so I took the initiative and started mango from seed. I know this will take a really long time, but i'm in it for the long haul :)
I live in northern Ohio, z6b. Closest "tropical" fruit I've seen is a "cold hardy" pomegranate...but I don't really trust it.

I've started mango seeds june 28. I can't say which kind other than that they were red/green and imported from mexico.

I also was thinking about growing lychee and pomegranate.
Do you guys think these three can overwinter indoors "somewhat" easily? Also interested in some citrus like lemon or orange. A couple months ago I was about to grow dragonfruit, but heard they are not easy to flower/fruit so far up north.

Sorry for all the pesky questions....i'm just so eager to get the ball rollin'! :) If all fails at least i'll have fun at least starting the seeds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaneatwell(sunset 23)

What about more cold hardy exotics like jujube? Sure there are more.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 10:29PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

If you do a search here for lycheeluva, Ohiojay, meyermike_1micha, these are some of the members here that grow citrus, mangoes, lychees, etc...they live in Michigan, Ohio and NY...

The only problem with growing mango from seed is it can take 7-10 years to produce and if its not grafted it may not taste good and might be full of fiber...its best to buy a grafted tree. Lychee is best if purchased as "airlayer" and could produce the very next season after purchase...

Good luck!!

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:43AM
bananafan

Auron,

Some also grow Kumquats which can fruit easily indoors as well. And if you are into growing bananas, they can sit in a 10 gallon pot (if you have some indoor space and a tall ceiling) and then transplant them into the ground when it's warm enough for them. However, they'll have to do that for a few years plying between the pot and ground before they can finally bear fruit. If you don't plant them in the ground and leave them in the pot outdoor in the warmer months, they'll also fruit in a few years. I've planted bananas both in the ground and in the pot. In the pot, their fruit are scanty.

If I were to live in colder places like yourself, I would have probably experimented with some of these tropical fruit trees myself. I do hope you will succeed in getting some to fruit for you.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™