Planting Blueberry Bushes

penny1947(z6 WNY)April 5, 2010

I just bought 4 Blueberry bushes at Sam's Club this week end. Is it safe to plant them out now or should I wait a little longer?

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

New question: I am going to have to create beds for these bushes as we all know that our soil here in western NY is mostly heavy clay. I am thinking I should go ahead and plant them in containers until I can get the beds dug and ammended. All suggestions are welcome.

Penny

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 7:41AM
rosalinda_gw

I think containers are a good idea. That gives you time to do what you need. Maybe even a type of container you don't need remove, one of those fiber ones?

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 10:09PM
pblue1235

I bought blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry bushes from Sam's Club in March. I had them outside when the temp went into the 20's. I lost all the buds, but almost all are coming back now. Now I keep them inside in a cool place when the temp is going to be below 40. I am hoping after the end of April I will be able to plant them. The low is supposed to be 31 on the 23rd of April.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 9:52PM
pblue1235

What are the best tasting varieties of blueberries? When I was a kid my dad planted some that had large (1") berries as sweet as could be. I have bought several varieties:
Bluecrop
Blueray
Berkely
Chippewa
Earliblue
Jersey
Spartan
I just saw a couple of other varieties at Lowes today. does anyone have any suggestions for any better tasting varieties?

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™