Darn Bunnies!!!

booberry85(5)April 24, 2013

I planted around 30 lilies (maybe more) last year. I had them around my deck and part way around one side of my vegetable garden. They put on a beautiful show too. What do I see this year? Evenly spaced holes where the bulbs were!!! I only have about 3 left! I thought I was clever and planted them near chives too, but no, that made no different! Looks like it'll be more columbine, echinacea and rudbeckia for me!

So what did those darn bunnies get of yours?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

awww.... I hate losing lilies to them! but, geez, they made holes?! the bunnies here just chomp things off well above ground level. Are you sure it wasn't some other critter that dug them out? perhaps a squirrel or ground hog?!

The little bastages -- rabbits I think, but could have been deer, I suppose -- got my 3 year old cherry tree!!! It was large enough to uncage -- but I didn't plan on the snow being so deep! they ate the whole thing down to about 3 feet off the ground. I'm bummed out because it had a chance of fruiting this year. :(

They'll get more, I'm sure!

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:17PM
booberry85(5)

Truly it could be any or all of the critters you mentioned. I have seen bunnies and squirrels in the backyard. The deer have been MIA. I haven't ground hogs in our yard for a few years .I(thank goodness!) Yep! those little buggers left holes where the bulbs should be!

Big bummer about your cherry trees. I tried growing apple trees a few years back and the same thing happened. I had taped the trunks of the trees about 1 1/2 feet up, but we had deep snow that year. The bunnies and deer chewed them down to nothing.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:05PM
Daisy_Plower(6a)

Bunnies ate my Bears Breeches--any suggestions on deterrents? I don't want to sprinkle pepper around my plants, but I am considering an owl statue. Help please. Thank you.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:56PM
party_music50

Two easy, cheap, and organic things seem to work well for keeping rabbits away, and should also deter deer:

1. male urine. It can be human or not, but it must be from a male. Have a guy friend water your plants -- it's free fertilizer too. :)

2. dog hair! collect loose dog hair and sprinkle it around the plants you want to protect.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
Time for seed catalog fun
Well, catalogs and online lists. Also time to go down...
diane_nny
Sponsored Products
Sapphire Mirror
$995.00 | Horchow
Turquoise Porcelain Bunny Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cylinda Set of 6 Coasters - Stelton
$100.00 | HORNE
Bend Seating | Bunny Lounge Chair
YLiving.com
Alessi Magic Bunny Toothpick Holder
LBC Lighting