Getting ready for the Hummingbirds!

tresbelle3April 18, 2013

I just checked the migration map at hummingbirds.net and the little ones are on their way! It's just about time to put out some nectar and welcome back the busy little guys! Happy spring!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

I'm excited too, I do see that they entered NY on the 14th,Yipppeee
I'll put my feeder today. Happy Spring !!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 8:52AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

There are now two reports in western NY....One in Clarence and another that appears to be closer to Dunkirk. Waiting for confirmation on the second report.

Penny

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:29AM
booberry85(5)

I saw this over the weekend and dusted off the hummingbird feeders. No hummingbirds yet! It usually takes them a couple weeks to find the feeders once they're out. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:02PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

I see the sightings, it seems too cold at night for them to be here already! My quince is getting ready to flower but it hasn't opened up yet...and I just picked up a Major Wheeler honeysuckle from lavocats open house this past weekend, but it is NOT ready to be outside yet-even in my sunporch it curled the leaves at night. Hopefully they wait until I've got some food for them! I might put out my baskets this weekend...the million bells aren't blooming yet but the bacopa and lobelia are. I don't know if either of those interest them at all, but at least it's something. My saturn peach has some flowers on it already (talk about early) but I don't know if they like that either (new to us this year)-I know they liked the crab apple, but that's not flowering yet either...

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:34PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

My red buckeye is getting close to blooming. I had to cut my Major Wheeler down because I left it in a pot over the winter outsiude inthe yard and the roots grew out of the pot ;into the ground. In order to get it out of the pot and off the small trellis it was on I had to cut it back to about a foot but my coral and Gold Flame will be able to pick up the slack until the Major starts growing again in its new location and with a new arbor that I am in the process of erecting.

pop and the Pulmonaria is blooming now. I did pick up a 6 pack of red petunias today to put in a hanging basket and my Salvia 'Amistad' which I had to order from California b/c it is only available in Calif. right now is blooming now. I also have two feeders out to start with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia 'Amistad'

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:11PM
Strell600

Hi...when do we put out Hummingbird feeders in Upstate New York, Syracuse to be exact. See on the map, they are moving up!!!! Excited to see 'em again!!!!!

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 11:50AM
booberry85(5)

I don't put mine out until the end of May. I looked at the map and they are up to North Carolina & Tennessee right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Migration Map

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 12:20PM
christine1950

I'll put mine out the end of April. Strell, you should probably put yours out end of April too, you dont want a scout to come by and not see your feeder, if you can put out more than one...

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 4:34PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

In previous years I have put my first feeder out as early as mid April or as late as the end of April. I have only had an early bird one time but an early feeder helps those that are passing through on their way to the northern breeding areas, The birds heading over to Canada usually pass through our area before our own birds arrive.
Penny

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:54AM
disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)

Ditto, 2 go out early april and I'm just putting out the rest last night. You never know when an early hummer might fly by and need a sip.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™