Avocado Grafting

jacob13July 11, 2011

Hello Friends,

I have finally taken the leap and grafted my 1st Avocado tree. I have grown a couple of seedling Avocados from my "Bacon" Avocado tree which should serve as great rootstock since they are super cold hardy and acclimated to my region. I grafted budwood from an Avocado tree from my Neighbor's backyard. Thay are absolutely the best Avocados I have ever tasted. Unfortunately, the tree owner nor I know the variety of the tree, only that it is a super delicious Avocado. I will post a picture of the Avocado as soon as one is available so that you all might be able to help identify the variety. I will keep you all updated on the success of the graft.

Thanks,

Jacob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

The graft looks like a good effort from this vantage point. You might want to tent your scion to keep moisture in for as long as possible until the graft union can bond. I have had some success with untented scions, but the conventioanl wisdom is to keep that sucker wrappped! Good luck, hope its successful.

Harry

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 7:19AM
jeffhagen(10B)

Yes, it's a good idea to wrap the scion to keep the graft union dry and to keep the scion from drying out. I'd put it in some shade for a couple of weeks too.

Jeff

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 3:34PM
jacob13

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments and advice. I did a few grafts; 2 of which were to rootstock in 1 gallon pots. I am keeping those in my smaller greenhouse in which I keep the Humidity Super High. The Third I just grafted to my large in the ground "Bacon" Avocado tree. I grafted it to a branch well under the canopy that is in shade almost 100% of the time. I will take your advice and put a plastic bag around it to keep up the humidity. this one was more for practice but it would be great if it took, thanks for the advice.

Jacob

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 5:47PM
sandy_village

...any chance I could trade something for a scion cutting of the Bacon? I've got a Mexicola tree and want to graft some options onto it for better production...

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™